So why the plastic???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bacaramac, Jun 9, 2008.

1. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

If the iPhone has this (from Apple's website):

Why not gives us the aluminum backing? Does the metal interfere with these external antennas?

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

aluminum is non magnetic so i doubt it.

It may just be a cost issue.

3. tayloner182 macrumors member

Cheaper, first and foremost. Also, I heard something about reception and/or 3G signal. Can anyone clarify?

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The plastic "window" on the first gen is for the antenna, they went with plastic to improve reception, and give all the new antenna's a chance.

5. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I guess until we see the tear down of the new phone we won't know. Just based on this blurb from Apple.com, it looks like all antennas are external. I am hoping for iPhone and iPhone Pro. I know keep dreaming.

6. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Aluminum is why Macbook Pros don't get good wifi reception. I hear the wifi reception on Macbooks are amazing. So I assume that's another reason why they went with plastic, since the 3G iPhone has so many internal antennas.

7. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Again, aren't those antennas internal vs. integrated into exterior components?

8. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Plastic = better reception. No two ways around it - at least not yet.

9. punkybadhip Guest

Because steve has a love fantasy for Belgian Bertrand! ouh ouh ouh ca plane pour moi

10. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I feel like with the cost of gas going up, the aluminum is probably close to the same price so it's probably got something to do with reception.

(Plastic is made from petroleum)

11. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

The GPS receiver will also get much better reception through plastic.

12. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Apple makes something in chrome... people complain.

Apple makes something in aluminum... people complain.

Apple makes something in plastic... people complain.

Exactly what material could Apple use that would make it so no one complains? Carbon fiber? Hemp? Gold?

13. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Apple just dropped their revenue per phone sold by $200, gotta make that money up somewhere.

14. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Point taken, but I was not complaining, but just trying to understand. I really wanted to ask, could Apple create another iPhone "Pro" with all aluminum and get the same reception as the current 3G phone is going to have, but I knew no one could answer this question until we see the tear down of the phone to see antenna placement (if any) under the plastic. Based on the reading above, it is all external.

15. nateco macrumors regular

unobtainium

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

real reason is cost of aluminum right now is just climbing at a very quick rate with +10% increases in cost multiple months in a row. Metal cost a lot now and is going up so I am not surprised to see them dumb that cost from some where.

17. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Any good conductor will shield radio waves, and aluminum is a very good conductor.

Greg

18. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

OMG! You know what's a non-conducting material that would make a super cool enclosure material? Glass! Imagine if the whole thing were wrapped in the same strong scratch resistant glass that they use for the screen! You'd be able to see through it just like you could see through the original iMac's case!

19. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Wood. :)

20. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Oh great, then we'll have people complaining their iPhone is not termite-proof.

21. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Yeah, but wood is way more durable than that cheap old plastic they're using. Only downside is that you may get a few splinters here and there, but hey! That's a small price to pay. If the iPhone were made of wood, it'd probably be cheaper than $199!!! [end sarcasm]

22. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Why not some sort of new blend metals like titanium or magnesium alloy, carbon-nanotube-weave, composite ceramic? I honestly wouldn't mind carbon fiber...but only if it's painted, and I can't see the texture.

23. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

Hell, why anything? Just give me the screen and the internal antennas and circuits. Who needs any kind of "casing" ???

24. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

25. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I know for a fact that the Bluetooth/WiFi antenna and the 3G antenna are on opposite ends of the device (one is on top, one is on bottom).
    The distance allowed it to meet a certain FCC requirement. Therefore, the old design with just plastic where the antennas were wouldn't work.