So, why the 'video' app?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Small White Car, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

- The iPhone came with an iPod app that did both music and videos.
    Makes sense.

- The iPod Touch was an iPod so it came with a music app and a videos app.
    Also makes sense.

So...does anyone have any clue why the iPad comes with an iPod app and a videos app?

I've been thinking about this one all day and I can't figure it out. If they'd done it like the phone I'd get that. If they'd done it like the iPod I'd get that. But why this hybrid version? I don't get it.

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Once I jaiilbreak this thing I will download the tweak that combines the two.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm guessing because of the iPad's 9.7" screen, people will be doing more video-watching than on the smaller devices.

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    very true.... hmm..... odd indeed....

I guess they created an iPod app because the iPad isn't an iPod...

And then the created a seperate Movie app for movies, because it really makes more sense to have them seperated in the first place. I think the iPad is a more movie driven device than the iPhone so it deserved to keep it's own app

just my thoughts..

5. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, but then why not just call the iPod app 'music' on the iPad?

I guess they want to keep the iPod brand name alive, maybe? But if that's true then why not put an iPod app on the iPod Touch?

Basically, I can make up reasoning that makes any 2 of the devices make sense. But the 3rd one always gets left out no matter what reasoning you come up with.

It's like rock-paper-scissors.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

slow day? ;)

7. ascii42 macrumors member

Makes sense to me. The iPod app represents iPod functionality within the iPhone and iPad. The iPod Touch is already an iPod, so it would be strange for there to be an iPod within the iPod. Yo Dawg, I heard you liked listening to music...

8. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

You'd better freak'n believe it!

My job today consists of packing a suitcase for a flight within the next 2 hours.

It's been packed since last week.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

basically he's asking why the "iPod" app on the iphone handles muisc and videos, but the "iPod" app on the iPad only handles music and has a seperate video app

10. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right. The whole world made perfect sense to me until I bought my iPad. Now my freak'n head is exploding!

Possibly from the drugs, but also possibly from the iPad apps!

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

My guess is that after Apple seperated the music from video on the iPod touch they realized that seperating them made way more sense than keeping them together. But the damage was already done on the iPhone. a)consumer mindset was already used to the merge and b)no reason to have to redesign the iPod app and build a new movie app for something that wasn't broken (OK, maybe they could just use the iPod touch versions, but I'm just trying to defend apple here :p )

Then when the iPad came along they implemented the method they prefered more (the two seperate apps) but wanted to keep the iPod branding.

IMO the iPad hybrid is the correct way to do it. It just took Apple a couple of screw ups to get it right ;)

Hopefully with iOS 5 they will admit defeat and switch them all to the iPad way

12. aperry macrumors 6502a

And if that wasn't confusing enough....the photos app also plays videos. I've always been confused by this organization (or lack thereof).

13. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

I like your history theory and I DO hope they switch it.

I mean, the old click wheel iPods did photos and contacts and calendars and brick-breaker too. They didn't put all those things into the iPod app on the phone, though. Nope. Just poor 'videos' is the only thing that got stuck in the music player app. So sad.

I'd be in favor of 'iPod=Music' and 'everything else has its own app' on all the devices, honestly. Even the iPod Touch itself. Having an iPod app on an iPod really doesn't seem all that confusing to me. I think consistancy is a bigger deal than that.

I've heard people wondering if Garage-Band & iMovie means we'll soon have iPhoto on iOS. I believe it. I also REALLY want them to improve Mac iPhoto and an imaginary iOS iPhoto to handle home-movies better. You know...be able to switch between all photos and all videos or combine them...stuff like that. Keep them together but let me manipulate them seperately. Right now it's a mess on the Mac and it's, well, nothing on the phone.

I hope Lion/iOS 5 have some big grand master plan to help us make sense of all the movies we're shooting on our iPhones. Right now they just get lost by being mixed up with other stuff.

14. aperry macrumors 6502a

I personally don't think the iPad method is the best way to do it. It seems that the iPod app in the iPad is modeled to look and feel a lot like iTunes. And in iTunes you have movies and music managed together. Further, I think the Videos app is pretty simple (actually looks unfinished to me). Seems like it could easily have been folded into iPod app.

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I realize this sounds a bit jaded, but given the way Apple works it could be purely from a rights control and/or access methods standpoint. Separating the apps and setting restrictions differently for each. With all of these home sharing and other access methods flying about, treatment of video content may be something they want to treat vastly different. Pure speculation, of course.