So why would I want to connect my iPhone to my iMac using Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InternetDude08, Feb 3, 2010.

1. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

The title says it all. I got a new iMac just over a month ago. I finally got my iPhone hooked up to iTunes and it syncs and charges great.

I understand I can connect the iPhone and iMac together using Bluetooth but I have no idea why I'd want to do that? What are some reasons why I'd use that functionality?

Thx.

2. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Not much use to you apart from if you want to do Internet Tethering.

If your internet connection to your iMac stops working then you can connect your iPhone to your iMac (cable or bluetooth) and use your iPhones network to do internet tethering.

3. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

this is a pretty interesting thread though. I wanted to know the same thing. Is the internet tethering the only thing you can do?

4. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I think most people would like to sync their itunes with their iphone through bluetooth so its more automated.

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

oh yes, that would be awesome.

6. androiphone macrumors 65816

you mean sync through WIFI because with bluetooth you would be syncing for about 7 hours

7. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

lol good point. Sync trough WiFi would be awesome. Wireless syncing, yammm

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

That would be awesome, even if I had to pay for it with Mobile Me I would go for it.

9. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

good point, I can imagine Apple putting this into MobileMe as a feature you will have to pay for.. nevertheless, i would love it.

imagine yourself walking into your room with your iphone , and it starts backing up to your mac and syncing podcasts and App updates. GREAT!

though I think this would defeat the purpose of the Apple universal dock a bit...

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Uhhhh.... For the most part is it already a part of MobileMe. If I make a change on my MBP, it goes to MM. Same if I make a change on my iPhone it goes to MM. If I make a change on MM it goes to my iPhone or MBP. iTunes over MM would be slower than slow and eat up incredible amounts for bandwidth. The best would be USB3 or at least wifi syncing (the iPad had the N standard in it).

11. Alan64 macrumors member

Does the iPhone iTunes remote control app use Bluetooth? I like being able to control iTunes without having to be right at the computer (and without having to buy the iMac remote).

12. nickwc macrumors newbie

13. saxofunk macrumors member

saxofunk

iPhone 802.11n

My understanding was that the 3GS has a 802.11n chip in it, but it is crippled down to 'g' band. Hope they don't do anything like that with iPad.

I use an application called BluePhone Elite which does a little more with the iphone, though not as much as some older bluetooth phones. You might want to check it out.