So, WiFi works now. An amusing story...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by IzzyJG99, Jan 28, 2012.

1. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

As some of you know there is a bit of a Wi-Fi issue in Lion. I was one of the poor fools who couldn't get a standing and working for any length of time connection to the net.

So I gave up. Went back to 10.6. Read the boards. Talked to Apple. All that jazz.

So my Airport Express, first generation, has for the past 6 months been flickering out on me. Constantly having to unplug it and plug it back in to get it working. Finally it was doing it every 2-3 hours. So I bricked it and ordered a new Airport Express. I even posted a thread on this forum asking if maybe getting a new one might fix the problem. Consensus was no.

I set it up while still on 10.6 and couldn't get it to work. For some reason it wouldn't show up in Airport Utility. When it did and I ran the setup through it wouldn't stay connected to the cable modem. Rebooted, restarted...etc, etc. Randomly it just started to work. Great. Awesome.

So I figured why not download 10.7.2 and see if having a new AEX worked. So I did yesterday. Let the installer sit in my Apps folder for a while. Building up the courage. Read up on any "hacks" or "fixes" to try. Yesterday I tried it and....

....Wi-Fi Works. The only thing I did was renew the lease inside Network Preferences. Maybe it was that. Maybe it was the new AEX. I reset my PRAM, too. Who knows what did it.

But I am glad to be able to use Lion finally. For any curious investigators of this strange ailment some Macs are falling under I'll provide you with what firmware my Wi-Fi chip is running.

Atheros 9280: 4.0.58.4-P2P

Not sure if that's the same as what it was in 10.6.8, but there it is.

2. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Good for you bro! Now you can finally experience Lion in all it's glory!

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Wi-fi card firmware has absolutely nothing to do with the OS version. That's a hardware item, not an OS one.

4. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

sounds to me like he already has.

5. mark28 macrumors 68000

Well, i'm not going to buy a new router just because Apple's new OS called Lion doesn't support my router, yet SL does?

6. IzzyJG99 thread starter macrumors 6502

If it is a strictly router problem? Then Apple needs to freakin' say so, you know? The irony is the times that I did talk to Apple the first thing out of their mouthes was "Have you purchased a new Airport? That could fix the problem." Very suspect.

But in my experience with this situation it seems like it's a lot of small problems.

But if it a router problem with chipsets, firmware and all that crap....

Apple can easily fix that and six months out? Should. Now.