So, WiFi works now. An amusing story...

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
As some of you know there is a bit of a Wi-Fi issue in Lion. I was one of the poor fools who couldn't get a standing and working for any length of time connection to the net.

So I gave up. Went back to 10.6. Read the boards. Talked to Apple. All that jazz.

So my Airport Express, first generation, has for the past 6 months been flickering out on me. Constantly having to unplug it and plug it back in to get it working. Finally it was doing it every 2-3 hours. So I bricked it and ordered a new Airport Express. I even posted a thread on this forum asking if maybe getting a new one might fix the problem. Consensus was no.

I set it up while still on 10.6 and couldn't get it to work. For some reason it wouldn't show up in Airport Utility. When it did and I ran the setup through it wouldn't stay connected to the cable modem. Rebooted, restarted...etc, etc. Randomly it just started to work. Great. Awesome.

So I figured why not download 10.7.2 and see if having a new AEX worked. So I did yesterday. Let the installer sit in my Apps folder for a while. Building up the courage. Read up on any "hacks" or "fixes" to try. Yesterday I tried it and....

....Wi-Fi Works. The only thing I did was renew the lease inside Network Preferences. Maybe it was that. Maybe it was the new AEX. I reset my PRAM, too. Who knows what did it.

But I am glad to be able to use Lion finally. For any curious investigators of this strange ailment some Macs are falling under I'll provide you with what firmware my Wi-Fi chip is running.

Atheros 9280: 4.0.58.4-P2P

Not sure if that's the same as what it was in 10.6.8, but there it is.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
For any curious investigators of this strange ailment some Macs are falling under I'll provide you with what firmware my Wi-Fi chip is running.

Atheros 9280: 4.0.58.4-P2P

Not sure if that's the same as what it was in 10.6.8, but there it is.
Wi-fi card firmware has absolutely nothing to do with the OS version. That's a hardware item, not an OS one.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Well, i'm not going to buy a new router just because Apple's new OS called Lion doesn't support my router, yet SL does?

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Well, i'm not going to buy a new router just because Apple's new OS called Lion doesn't support my router, yet SL does?
If it is a strictly router problem? Then Apple needs to freakin' say so, you know? The irony is the times that I did talk to Apple the first thing out of their mouthes was "Have you purchased a new Airport? That could fix the problem." Very suspect.

But in my experience with this situation it seems like it's a lot of small problems.

But if it a router problem with chipsets, firmware and all that crap....

Apple can easily fix that and six months out? Should. Now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.