So will 8Gb be enough in new 2012 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrMister111, Nov 2, 2012.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I've been to and fro between upgrading my 2007 iMac to either a refurb 2011 or new 2012 iMac.

I was on the side of the 2011, but with the HE discount the difference is £54 to get the new one if I include AppleCare for the refurb.

I'd chose the 21.5" base model with 8Gb RAM, my concern is, is this enough? Obviously no one can be totally sure, but with no way to upgrade RAM, it's a little bit of concern.

Do you think Apple will, when making/updating apps, be aware of the 8Gb RAM that users will have?

My use at the moment is surfing, iLife 11, office, iTunes, I hope to sometime in future do some Xcode.

Cheers

2. Tucson Allen macrumors member

Upgrading the 21.5” RAM

The RAM is not user accessible and it has only two slots. BTO with Apples RAM pricing? I think not. Do it yourself? I think not, especially without having yet any detailed step-by-step instructions. Have it done later at an Apple Store. I think not. I might well end up paying as much for the 21.5” as for the 27” model.

3. leman macrumors 604

Yes, 8GB will be enough for you.

4. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Don't be so quick to assume the RAM cannot be upgraded in the 21.5" iMac. Apple has only said it's not "user-accessible" or something like that. A lot of people (myself included) expect the 21.5" iMac to use normal SO-DIMM memory. It may turn out that a qualified technician (or a brave) user can change the DIMMs. The trick will be opening the case.

Wait until the system ships and someone has opened it up. It might make sense to buy minimum memory with the system and add 3rd party memory later as needed, even if you have to pay someone to do the installation.