so will a unlocked iphone work with the app store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfie, Jun 27, 2008.

1. wolfie macrumors regular

pretty much as per title, a 1st gen upgraded to 2.0 thats been jailbroken and unlocked, so i can run unoffical programs alongside offical ones from the app store.

will it work, i know it might be speculation, or mayb someone has a firm idea.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

As far as I know, no builds of 2.0 after beta 3 have been jailbroken/unlocked. Once the final 2.0 build is jailbroken and unlocked, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. If nothing else, just use it on WiFi.

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I actually think it won't be unlocked.

This is 2.0 and 3G, two quite major milestones for the iPhone. O2 has reportedly already lost 7B in revenue due to unlocking and carrier changes within the last 9-10 months. Apple have a contract with O2 to ensure the locking of the device to thier network, at all times, unless originally sold unlocked. Apple are going to put every effort into securing and locking the device down, tight, this time.

As stated above, iPhone OS builds since the seeding of 'Beta 3' (5A240d), have yet to be jail broken or unlocked, which suggests the firmware has been secured successfully, or is being seeded to select trusted developers. The current beta seeding of iPhone OS is 'Beta 8' (5a345), therefore meaning 5 preview builds of the iPhone OS have been seeded, without one having been successfully jail-broken or unlocked.

It is highly unlikely the 'Gold Master' of Firmware 2.0 will be unlocked now.

R-Fly

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

Im sure the new os 2.0 will be unlocked eventually, although it may take a while. the first unlock took 3 months before it was available for free

however, the 3g iphone may be much harder to unlock due to new hardware and firmware (such as baseband, bootloader etc)