So will the 13 inch RMBP have burn in/ image retention issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsen4961, Oct 20, 2012.

1. bsen4961 Guest

Like a lot of rmbp owners out there mine suffered with image retention. I of course returned it. Now that a 13 inch version is on its way do you think it will have the same issues?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Only time will tell.....hopefully, it is something they have fixed.

3. boto macrumors 6502

boto

No one owns a 13" rMBP here so there is no way we can determine if IR has been resolved. We can only speculate based on the rumors of improvement of heat dissipation and the correcting of display issues. However, I'm sure Apple did fix the defects after 4 months of constant complaints on IR. They can't 'hide' the problem anymore as a 13" model will accomodate a larger percentage than the 15", possibly double or triple the amount of sales. If they continue suggesting it as a feature than we can expect a lot of complaints, but that is only if they install LG displays and no Samsungs.

I really hope this $500 price point above the cMBP is worth the value for the specs provided. If they only include an SSD, retina display, and 8GB Ram, I'm not going to even bother jumping the gun. I'm looking forward to a quad-core CPU and discrete GPU.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Considering that I work for Apple and manufacture/test screens extensively...

5. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

The guy who leaked the 13" rMBP images in that chinese forum at least claimed that the image retention and heat problems were solved. And it isn't uncommon for 1st generation Apple products to have that kind of severe problems which are then being solved in the next models. Public beta testing while earning 2k with each machine.

Only time will tell though.

6. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

7. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Very true. The first Intel 24" White iMac is evidence of that - it suffered MASSIVELY from screen burn, to the point where you could read what was on your screen the day before.

It's likely the rMBP's issue was a 1st gen issue which will be resolved. That being said, we're technically looking at another 1st gen as it'll be the first 13" "Retina" display.

8. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

That's true, but what to do instead, if you need a Mac now? The 13" rMBP will be a very nice machine, so should I skip out on that just because I'm scared of IR or the iGPU? Honestly, I don't know.

9. AirThis, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

AirThis macrumors 6502a

Wait a few months before buying so you can make an informed purchase. Pretty convinced the IR problem is real (Samsung here, no issue). As for lag, I just can't see that much on mine. Mostly a browser thing.

10. rmwebs macrumors 68040

TBH I wouldn't worry about it. If there is a problem with it - you can take it back as faulty. However if you're buying it just because its a retina display, then you shouldn't be buying it at all ;)

11. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

What should be the reason to buy it, if not the display?

Oh and I can't wait, not even for the first reviews to come online. I have to order something on tuesday and thought I'd settle for the 13" rMBP... but all this reading made me confused and insecure :confused: What would you do, if you really needed something, right now? Dare it?

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

How come Apple's QC doesn't catch these, apparently, major and obvious issues before release?

13. kis macrumors 65816

Considering that they probably won't be buying screens from Samsung anymore (as they basically stopped buying ANYTHING from them), my guess would be: yupp.

14. rmwebs macrumors 68040

The SSD, Multiple Display Support, USB3, Dual Thunderbolt, thinner/lighter body, etc.

For me (personally) I'm going to be moving from a 2 year old Mac Pro, and a 11 month old MacBook Air to either the new 13" rMBP or the existing 15" rMBP.

My reason for this is that I can replace both my computers with the new laptop, still run three external screens, and then take it out of the office.

I dont get the purpose of buying it 'just for retina' though, especially since very few apps are optimised, and virtually no websites are, resulting in a noticeable poor quality of graphics and text.

Plus theres the fact that it puts a lot of strain on the GPU, which could be better used doing other things than making round corners look 'nicer'.

That's my opinion anyway, based on my own needs. Take it with a pinch of salt :)

15. mobidutch macrumors member

Don't count on it. Market demand will drive the decision to source from multiple suppliers. If LG and/or Sharp can't deliver enough units, Apple will not forego huge sales numbers just to 'stick it' to Samsung.

16. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

if its screen is ips, then it probably will. it's common for image persistence to occur on such screens.

17. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

if you're seeing image persistence, you're looking at it the wrong way....lol

18. kis macrumors 65816

Somehow I have the feeling that that's only the case since Apple publicly stated it is. I've been using IPS screens for close to a decade without neither hearing about IR nor ever experiencing myself. Along comes the Retina - and now all of a sudden it's supposedly a very common occurrence with IPS screens. Bollocks.

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I'm from the future, and no, it doesn't. In a surprise twist, however, the Microsoft Surface gives lots of people herpies.

20. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Retina is the Dog's Bollocks!

21. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Let me look into my crystal ball and I'll get back to you.

22. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

And here comes all the moronic posts.

23. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

24. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

lmfao!