iPhone So will the 5.1.1 restore window close when IOS 6 comes out Wednesday

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by johndallas999, Sep 17, 2012.

1. johndallas999, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  2. rak007, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012

rak007 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4S coming in mail which i bought from amazon. The phone is on iOS 5.1.1 and i want it to be on this OS. But since the phone is locked to AT&T i will have to unlock it using the ebay listings. But after the unlock is processed, it is suggested to restore the iPhone, will i be able to restore to 5.1.1 after iOS 6 is released ?
    I don't wish to get iOS 6 on my 4S.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

In the past, Apple has continued to sign the previous firmware for half a day to a couple of days.

No way to know how long it will be.

Make sure and use TinyUmbrella to save your 5.1.1 hashes now and the window will never close for you.

4. Bitgod, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

So lets say I'm buying my friend's 4S and I don't get it until next week. If I download the 5.1.1 restore image now (which I'm doing), am I able to restore it to 5.1.1 next week or it won't work?

Edit: Ok, did some reading on the TinyUmbrella site, so that answers my questions I think. So basically if I can get my friend to run TU now, it'll save the hash? And that's tied to the hardware so that when I get the phone, I'll be able to get the hash back? Testing this out on mine...

Ah, ok, so I'd just need to have him send me the files in his /Users/<user>/.shsh folder, put them in my .shsh folder, and then I could restore?

5. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yes. Have him email the shsh file to you. Then when you are ready to restore to 5.1.1, use Redsn0w to stitch that shsh file to the official 5.1.1 IPSW file. Once rednsn0w is done stitching the blob to the firmware file, you shift click restore in iTunes!

iClarified has fantastic tutorials. YouTube and Google are extremely helpful for first time users restoring to a firmware no longer signed by Apple. Ask questions here too if you have any problems or questions. Also, if you have recently used TU, make sure your host files point to Apple servers and not cydia servers if you're restoring to iOS5.

6. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

You're referring to unchecking the cydia options under the advanced tab?

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Correct. Uncheck "set hosts to cydia on exit". This will make your hosts file point to apple servers which is necessary if you are restoring to iOS5.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

And you will need an older version of TinyUmbrella for that, the most recent versions have that greyed out (why ??)