So will the new maps need a data connection at all times?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by andyp350, Sep 15, 2012.

1. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I was excited when I heard that apple was going to have turn by turn navigation in the maps app. It then occurred to me that if this app is going to be similar to google maps, it will need a data connection at all times for navigation. This worries me slightly as in most journeys (where I live anyway) there are always dead spots with no signal. I was hoping this would replace my Co pilot live app for sat nav but unless the maps are stored locally I can't see this happening.

2. akac macrumors 6502

akac

No, it caches the route and surrounding areas automatically. It's vector so the map data is a lot smaller than what Google uses.

3. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok that sounds promising, data usage aside (already seems to be lots of topics on this) the thought of losing signal and the directions stopping seems like a huge drawback, so if it caches the maps/directions needed for the route in advance then it could be ideal.

4. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Indeed it would be ideal. I wonder now how much it can cache at a time, which I'll find out soon enough. Just don't miss a turn when you lose signal otherwise you're on your own in finding your way back onto its planned route.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

why is that? unless you go past the cache part I don't see how it can't rearrange the route. I don't think that route calculation is on the server?

6. scott523, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

scott523 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Even without traffic, it can't reroute without data. Not even Google (though no navigation) can route with cached maps.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

ahh interesting and sad at the same time. I think I will still continue to use TomTom for long trips since I'm gonna assume that besides the rerouting issue it will probably drain the battery even faster than just GPS.

8. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Ive been using Apple Maps for Navigation every day. I visit upto 10 addresses a day and over all i have not had a problem with it since beta 3. I couldnt say for sure that it can re-route with no signal but its seemless enough that you generally dont notice. I do have the TOMTOM app as a backup but only needed to use it for very obscure addresses.

9. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I don't see why it couldn't reroute since it already caches the maps and has constant access to you location.

Doesn't make sense.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

It can reroute if you have a data connection.

If you are asking about reroute without data connection, having all the maps on the phone is not going to help the reroute process. Big ass back end servers do that part.

11. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

oic. I figured the reroute was done locally.