All iPads So will there be another iPad event this year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EvilEvil, Mar 31, 2018.

1. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

The recent education iPad event was really disappointing. Will there be another iPad event this year? I really want a new iPad mini.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why was it disappointing? Looks like Apple updated their apps/services to better enhance their education offering and providing a lower cost but powerful iPad.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I thought the educational announcement was pretty exciting. Not for me but it will, for sure, get one heck of a lot of iPads in peoples hands. They should directly compete with the cheaper Android tablet and get people introduced to the Apple eco system.

I think we will be getting new iPad Pro units this fall. As far as a new mini, not even rumors so I am afraid you might be disappointed.

4. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Apple will probably release new iPad Pros at some point this year, but it's hard to say if it will happen at WWDC in June like last year, or in the fall. As far as the iPad Mini goes I'm thinking the Mini 4 may be the end of the line, but there is a small change that it might be refreshed when the new iPad Pros come out.

5. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

You can look forward to new iPad Pro models during WWDC. Fall would be too late to introduce new Pro models.

As for the mini, there is almost no chance of a refresh. The size is completely out of line with the current lineup. If such a model were introduced, it would have been done during the educational event.

6. spacebro macrumors 6502

I have not been excited from an apple event since the 2012 MacBooks came out, until this one. This is a huge advance in iPad specs. The iPad may never again in all history see a spec bump like this. It makes me think that the next iPad pro release is going to be very nice. They put all their love and best engineers on iOS devices, nice things are coming.

7. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Undoubtably Apple would have new iPad Pro's in the fall. However, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Apple to do anything with the iPad Mini. I think that has gone by the way of the Mac Mini and the iPod Touch into Apple's purgatory.

8. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

They replaced a 3 year old chip with a 2 year old chip and this got you more excited than ever?!

9. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Apple cut the price by 50% on a product with virtually the same features as 9.7" iPad Pro.

A year ago, the 9.7" iPad Pro sold for $599. Today, the iPad (2018) sells for $329 and comes with an A10. This waterfall of features and price rarely happens at Apple.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The chip is more then capable and the price is quite enticing for many people

11. Mr. Heckles, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018

Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

It wasn’t an iPad event, it was a school event. It was an event focused on school and education, not iPads. I bet there will be an actual iPad event later this year.

12. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I’m in the minority here, but I doubt iPad Pros will be updated before the fall. I would bet they aren’t updated until next year

13. ACST Suspended

A10 is a great great chip, sure the A11 is better but the 'slowless' of phones after the A10 comes from the animation speed not from the chipset. So the actual difference between the A11 and the A10 in real life is negligible to non-existent.

If you really want to bitch about the new iPad then bitch about the 2GB RAM not the chipset.

14. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

And this is why I’m keeping my iPad Pro 9.7 until the iPads get more RAM.

15. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

think you will be dissapointed as there will be no mini's going forward from all reports

be just the updating of the pros

16. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

Agree with this, sadly. Especially the Mac Mini. The era of screen sizes and desktops trying to straddle an ever narrowing middle ground is coming to a close. It makes less financial sense for Apple.

17. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Apple is using A11X as a pipe cleaner for testing the brand new TSMC 7nm process. Apple doesn’t risk production of A12 until it’s on a proven process. The exact same thing happened last year with 10nm A10X.

All these A11X chips are not going inside an iPod or Apple TV.

18. AutisticGuy macrumors member

More than likely, new iPad Pros will be released at this year’s WWDC.

19. ACST Suspended

10.5 pro already has 4GB.

20. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

True, but I like the 9.7 size. The 10.5 is also twice the price of the current iPad. Twice the RAM, twice the price. :p

21. Crow_Servo macrumors regular

Crow_Servo

By the time you see 4GB of RAM on the budget iPad, the Pros will already be on 6 or 8. It’ll always be trailing behind. If you want cutting edge, the Pros are where it’s at. 9.7” is the new Mini, and the Mini never got the most love.

22. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

The 9.7 at least got updated, when was the last time the Mini got updated with anytning? Aren’t the mini running on 3 generation i5/i7 processors?

23. Crow_Servo macrumors regular

Crow_Servo

That’s my point. 9.7 is the new Mini. Mini is probably no more.

24. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

You mean the iPad mini? That hasn’t been updated either. Again, at least the iPad 9.7 has been updated. I’m sorry, I don’t see how the 9.7 is the new mini, when it just for updated.

25. Crow_Servo macrumors regular

Crow_Servo

Yes, the new iPad Mini. I’m not saying that Apple is killing the 9.7” like they did to the iPad Mini. I’m just saying the 9.7” is now the base model, like the iPad Mini once was. Soon, the iPad Mini will be off the Apple website, and it’ll just be the iPad Pros and the regular iPad.