So will there be much difference with iphone 5 to iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Feb 16, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody heard any rumours? will there be much difference in terms of display? speed wise?

would it really be worth paying alot to upgrade when it's going to be basically the same phone?

2. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I have heard rumors of a 4" screen. I'll most likely upgrade if that happens.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

stupid question but what size is the current one, 3.7?

4. mobiletech macrumors member

current screen is 3.5

if they upgrade the screen to 4 inches AND they put in LTE and HSPA+ I will upgrade other wise it wont be worth the upgrade.

5. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Sadly I don't think iPhone 5 or whatever the hell it will be called will be worth the upgrade from iP4. I would love a 4" screen.

Surprise us Stevo!

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Nobody knows what the iPhone 5 will and won't contain, so nobody can answer your question. Only guesses.

I am guessing it will be better internally (dual-core, more RAM, NFC payments).

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I doubt there will be a 4" screen, but I wouldnt be surprised if Apple gives it an all-new design like all the rumors say.

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm guessing that we'll all know for sure in June/July.

Until then....flip a coin.

9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I see iPhone "5" rumors only heating up as June approaches. Lot of buz on what's next, but no one knows.

I think Apple hopes time stands still for a couple years so they can keep the same iPhone 4 around awhile, but the competition isn't standing still that long...

10. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

No, the rumors right now suggest a modest upgrade from 4 to 5. LTE not likely to show up in 2011.

The most recent rumor is the 4" screen, but I don't believe that one yet. But if so, that would be the biggest change.

I'm guessing iPhone 6 is the next leap forward in 2012. LTE, etc.

11. Hawke macrumors regular

Too early to speculate, but I think the update, as mentioned by NebulaClash would be a modest one. Maybe the usual faster processor, etc; however I dont think the update may be much to consider an upgrade, but who knows, I could be wrong

12. kre62 macrumors 68000

I dont see how anyone could claim that going from a single core 800mhz Cortex A8 processor to a dual core 1+ ghz Cortex A9 would be a "small update". Its a massive update. Also the new graphics GPU will be either a single or dual core 543 chip, again a massive upgade. We are talking 2-3x the power of the current iPhone. Add a 4inch screen and bigger battery, and you have the ultimate device.

13. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

My predictions are small internal upgrades this year, complete redesign next year. Maybe a new cheaper model this year as well, maybe.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed.
    People have a false view that the 3G to 3GS was minor. Maybe aesthetically wise it wasn't a big change, but god hardware wise it was a major shift.
    The 3G and the original iPhone had more similarities than the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 3G (internally).

But i understand, people who bought the iPhone 4 and are locked in contracts would hate for the iPhone 5 to be much better. Sadly, they better get used to it. Technology moves very fast.

The iPhone 5 will very likely have a dual core processor.. that itself will make it a huge upgrade imo.
    The recent updates about the 4" screen seem really nice. I don't know if it's true, but i hope it is.
    Apple isn't stupid, and is going to put in features to make the majority of people with the iPhone 4 to upgrade.
    There is also rumor that Apple will be announcing a smaller edge-to-edge phone.

This isn't 2009 anymore, Apple faces too much competition from other smart phone companies, so i think we'll get an external redesign as well. Moreover, the iPhone 4 design is plagued with "antennagate". The iPhone 5 will have a proper antenna design to take the "antennagate" fear away.

15. aldo82 macrumors regular

Yeah, you need to check out a site called macrumors.com. Oh...

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone has a 1GHz processor not 800MHz, but yeah I agree I think the next iPhone will be a big upgrade on the OS and hardware.

17. kre62 macrumors 68000

Actually, the speed was never published by Apple. They also restricted it so that any queries would return a value of 0. Review sites who tested the phone next to the iPad came to the conclusion that it was running in the neighborhood of 750-800mhz.

With the latest release of iOS, Apple has apprently lifted the restrictions, and queries now return a value of 800mhz. This falls in line with what everyone who benchmarked the device expected.

Not to worry, it still rocks the socks off of any Android phone in terms of smoothness, scrolling, etc.

18. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

The update this year is going to be similar to the 3G -> 3GS update. Just hardware & software improvements, but no changes to the design.

Apple waited a year when everyone else had 3G, the same is going to happen when it comes to LTE.

So, this year it's going to be the iPhone 4S, with some enhancements.

In 2012, expect a 4 inch screen, and 4G LTE service.

Therefore, I'm buying my Verizon iPhone this month, and then upgrading 20 months later in October for my iPhone 4G/6.

19. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

it'll be completely transparent with a layer of polarizable glass in the middle. they'll fit everything into the frame.

if they made this, i would wait outside for weeks to get it.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess would be a dual CDMA/GSM true world iphone. With HSPA+, better CPU, GPU, thinner but not completely different looking than the current iphone 4.

21. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I'm betting it's mostly an internal update. Same screen size. Maybe an antenna adjustment. I am not expecting a big difference in terms of appearance. The iPhone 4 looks just like a MacBook Pro, and I'm willing to bet the iPad 2 will have the same look. I think Apple likes having that universal appearance across their mobile devices. It's like in public when someone sees it they know it's an apple, whether it's a tablet, phone, or laptop.

I'm betting nothing HUGE for the iPhone this year. The current hardware is still keeping up very well. I wouldn't mind if Apple proved me wrong though!