So will this thing ever slow down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dloreski, May 8, 2010.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Hi everyone.
    I've been educating myself as much as I can on these forums before buying my first MBP 13 on Thursday.
    I use my computer for work, and when I turn it on, I need it to be ready to go.
    My latest PC was a Dell XPS M1330 running Windows Vista Home edition.
    Anything from booting up, to shutting down, to everything in between took forever to do.
    Everyone told me to buy Windows 7 for it. But to be honest, I've spent so much money on Windows PC's over the years, I decided to try a Mac.
    I'm shocked at how fast it boots and is ready to go, how fast it shuts down, and nothing lags on it like my PC.
    I could work my Windows PC, but I'm no expert and it's more a tool than a passion for me.
    So over the next 1-3 years, will this Mac become slower?
    - Dave

2. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Maybe slightly - as your hard drive fills up it seems to slow down but its hardly noticeable. Also over time, future applications will tax your CPU slightly more so you may notice a slight slowdown - but it really will be so so small.

I've had my current mac for 2.5yrs+ and it's still going strong!

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

It's not really the actual hardware that slows down but all of the junk that accumulates as software. A lot of people who don't know what they are doing assume that since their computer has "slowed down" that it's time to buy a new one but the fact is reformatting and reinstalling windows, or even running spyware and virus scans will result in the computer returning to it's running state when you first got it.

There are less spyware and viruses that can get into mac osx but over time it may slow down like anything else but like any other "slow down" it's completely fixable.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

use Onyx for regular maintenance and it will keep you MBP running as close to out of the box specs for a long time.

5. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

I'd like to add that my previous macbook pro was the only computer that I've never really felt slow down compared to my previous PC laptops. This is also echoed amoung friends that I've converted to Apple years ago, they are not tech savy but they always highlight to me that they no longer need to get a new laptop annaually :cool:

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

The Windows workstations at work seem to take forever from bootup to a 'ready-to-go' state in comparison to the Macs even when the workstations are way more spec'd up. All our Macs have to do during the login process is authenticate against the corporate LDAP, download the rare virus definition, then boom! Alleluya! We're ready to go and without a chance to twiddle our thumbs!

Alot of people seem to overlook this small user experience detail when making their comparisons and rather look at the more obvious spec sheets.

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Its always funny when I boot from Mac to Boot Camp and back and see how slow Windows is compared to OS X. It boots so much faster.

8. TennisandMusic

Well my Windows 7 machine boots much faster than any OSX machine I have ever owned, including the iMac quads.

What slows it down is installing a bunch of junk on the machine. OSX can have the same junk at bootup (it's easy to see what's starting, it's under the system preference for each user).

Just don't install garbage on either machine and you are fine. Take five minutes every month if you need too, to clean out the startup settings.

It is not difficult on either platform.