So Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Spontida, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Spontida macrumors regular

Now that its supported, what type of CD do I need to buy or do I need the ISO?

Confused...

2. Spontida thread starter macrumors regular

Really? 354 views but no one posts? Help please.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Buy Windows 8

Windows and most OS's don't even fit on a CD.:p

You can buy directly from Microsoft, download or DVD, and there are plenty of online places to buy or in your local shops.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You need to create a Win8 ISO or USB flash drive installer. You need to do that on a Windows machine. If you have an earlier version of Windows you can buy the upgrade which is in fact a full version but will only install if you have a previous version already installed. If not then you have to buy the full version. Unfortunately for you the $39 upgrade version is no longer available. You can go here and check out your options http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/buy

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If yours is a recent machine, almost 100% sure you need to put the ISO on a USB. Buy online.

7. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I bought the MS Win 8 system builder (OEM) DVD from B&H for $89. It's legal for an end user to install it on a Mac.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

A mac is a PC so yes it is legal.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes you are correct. I forgot to mention it because my rMBP doesn't have one so I had to use the USB method. I installed mine in Parallels though. And initially I installed to a new VM. When I entered my sn# it told me that the version I installed cannot be used for a clean install, meaning I had to have had Windows 7 or earlier first. However if you do have an earlier version of Windows installed, the installer will give you the option for a clean install.

Just FYI for anyone else :)

11. Spontida thread starter macrumors regular

12. Hans Kamp macrumors member

Is it possible to do it in the other way around? That is: installing Mac OS on a non-mac (a PC)? I guess that Apple don't want that, and that you get an error message if you try.

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Search for hackintosh, you'll find plenty of links.

14. jrs22 macrumors 6502

The point of the OEM license is that it's only legal to install it on a non-windows machine. The OP has a Mac that is w/o a windows install, so OEM is ok. Some people think its only legal when the machine is being built for sale.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

See my post above for the actual license that applies. It even applies to Windows machines if the OEM license is to be installed in a VM or separate partition.

B

16. Hans Kamp macrumors member

Haha, funny name! :D

17. jrs22 macrumors 6502

You're correct. I may have stopped reading the license after confirming that it was legal to use on my OSX PC.

18. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

The update to bootcamp didn't really help much IMO. I had it installed before it was "officially" supported. and it was just fine.