So with iPad are you still going to keep/stay with iPhone..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FSUSem1noles, Apr 15, 2010.

1. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I love my iPhone don't get me wrong.

But that fact that I have to jailbreak my iPhone to tether it for my iPad is bewildering, especially since there's many phones out on the market now that allow tethering..

So, with the next iPhone model due to come out are you thinking of making the switch from the iPhone to something that would allow tethering?

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I really don't see me getting my iPad out in public just to make a phone call. Even with headphones on.

3. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone does natively support tethering, yet ATT seems to be blocking it from actually working. I'm hoping that if the rumors are true about Apple making a Verizon iphone, that Verizon will allow the tethering feature to actually work. I know Verizon allows it for the Palm Pre, so seems logical enough that they would also allow it for iPhone.

4. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I think you missed the point the original poster was making.

In answer to the question, I intend to keep my 3GS.

5. Reser macrumors 6502

Well for me Ipad is purely going to be an at home device, or for when I travel when I go down to London or abroad. I am not going to carry it everywhere like I do my Iphone. So Iphone still will have as much purpose as it always had.

An IPad does not replace an Iphone. Iphone is for portability e.t.c, Ipad is for Home Travel and leisure.

If it was that impotant to use your Ipads online functions on the move why did you not just wait for the 3G IPad?

Also how exactly can you Tether to the Ipad with other phones, do they also offer a Wifi tethering option?

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Seconded. But I am also jailbroken w/ MyWi, so I "technically" have a 3G+Wifi iPad ;)

7. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Oh, it wasn't important at the time.. but I tell you since getting the iPad and using it while waiting in the Dr.'s office or when I have some downtime waiting for appointments it's just a better experience compared to browsing on the iPhone... the iPad really has me spoiled as far as browsing, checking email, creating calendar events, etc,etc..

8. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

9. substeel macrumors member

Yes and I will be getting iPhone 4 when they become available and assuming ATT will give me a contract price upgrade like the did for the 3GS one year after I had purchased the 3G.

10. mizvalorie macrumors member

Hell yes I am staying with the iPhone. I will be upgrading AS SOON AS my contract is up.

11. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

yep and I will be upgrading to the new iPhone as soon as its released!

12. Jinkst macrumors regular

I do indeed. Getting this iPad has reignited my admiration of touch on Apple compared to everything else. in my job I don't get too much time during the day to use my phone except for calls so ease of use and simplicity are the most attractive features in a phone for me and Android and anything Nokia etc just don't really cut it for me myself.

13. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

Could not stand the iPhone and love my Blackberry.

The tiny screen on the iPhone is useless!:eek:

14. wovel macrumors 68000

You are an interesting person :confused:

15. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lol, I was thinking the same thing

16. RunOverProducti macrumors regular

The iPhone feels like a candy bar now that I'm using the iPad.

17. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Fixed that for you. ;)

18. freddy425 macrumors regular

I agree, purely an at home/travel device for me, I plan on keeping my 3GS and that will take care of the kind of tasks I need when I'm around town or going from one place to the other

19. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

I'll keep my 3GS. Normally, I get the latest iPhones as they come out. Now, I'll be waiting until there is a jailbreak before buying a new one. I definately like the iPhone and definately like it jailbroken.

20. pkdoyle macrumors member

For the first time since getting the original iPhone I am considering bailing out. I did not see this coming. I LOVE the iPhone! But, the iPad is so wonderful I now see myself taking it places I had not anticipated. If there is no WiFi there, I am screwed. As I have the iPhone 3GS (latest bootrom) jailbraking is not an option for me and I want to run MyWi in the worst way. I am really disappointed that ATT has never come out and allowed tethering as do other companies with the iPhone elsewhere in the word.

If the iPhone does go to Verizon I anticipate either moving with it, or staying with ATT if they change their policy in light of their new competition.
    If the iPhone stays with ATT exclusively, then I will probably jump to Sprint when the HTC EVO comes out this summer.

21. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

22. aluren macrumors 65816

Wait till Apple announce the next iPhone first. If all they did was upgrade speed, ram, and storage, then definitely I'll keep my 3GS. But if there's some bombshell features coming out like front camera for video calls, then I will upgrade without hesitation.

23. pkdoyle macrumors member

But you kinda missed my point. I am not considering ditching the iPhone because other newer phones may be better. It's because ATT has locked down tethering. I am sure the new iPhone will be awesome, but without competition ATT will still turn off tethering. :mad:

24. JReynolds macrumors 6502

25. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

That wasn't the question. There are other phones besides an iphone out there.

As to the OP, I'm considering ditching the iphone for the Evo, unless the next iPhone is truely impressive.

With the Evo comes a sanctioned wifi hotspot, 4G internet speeds, front facing camera, 8mpx camera, and 720p video recording.