So With Push Can I....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bluisnblklungs, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Bluisnblklungs macrumors member

With push coming out with 3.0 does this mean that I will be able to lets say have Pandora open and answer a text message at the same time or compose an email? And or lets say be playing a game of tetris and be able to answer and text with out having to exit out of tetris? Is this what push does? If not what dose it do, also what would do what I asking about and is that coming too?
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

composing an email would happen in the email app (or TXTs in the TXT app) - thereby closing the pandora (or anything) app.

Push will act how SMS acts right now.

3. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

No that is not what push is. What you are describing is background processes which the iphone can't do.

Push simply alerts you that there is a change in some application.

For example, let say someone sends you an im via AIM. The Push feature will alert you that you have a new IM even though the AIM app is closed.

4. xyion1 macrumors regular

No, thats now how push will work, to my understanding.

To have Pandora playing while doing something else (TXT, Safari, etc) would be a background process, which Apple is not supporting. Currently iPod.app does this, but thats it.

Text messages are already push; you get the pop up while in most other programs. The new Push feature would allow this to happen for other programs, say a IM or Email program. You'd be playing tetris and get a pop up stating you have a new email (hypothetically, and not supported in Apples mail.app, to my knowledge). You can then ignore the message, or exit tetris and handle it.

Push is going to be very helpful for IM programs...so you can be running AIM and minimize to Safari to surf, and then have a new IM "pop-up" on demand.