So with Sony suing GeoHot...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bbplayer5, Mar 7, 2011.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

When will we see Apple suing him or the Dev Team? Do you think Apple stoops this low? If the hack enables people to cheat at games or run burned software, why doesn't Sony just monitor the network for cheats and start banning people?

Today we see that Sony is getting all of YouTubes users that viewed the video! When will this end?!

2. Thadon macrumors member

Apple suing the Dev team is highly unlikely since it is LEGAL to hack your phone but it isn't legal to hack you console on paper. That's what makes this a awesome case, that I hope Geohot wins.

3. viriiguy macrumors newbie

You can bet that Apple is watching this closely. However, the big difference here is.. Sony is worried about lost revenue from pirated games. Which the majority of PS3 owners who JB WOULD be doing it for this reason. Regardless of what they say... The PSP has already proven this.

The majority of iDevice owners, on the other hand... They want cool tweaks, not free apps. As a matter of fact, the majority of JB iPhone owners I have met, do not even know about the pirated app stores.

If Sony wins, Then Apple will weigh it choices and move again.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I don't know where people are getting this imaginary "Apple is watching" crap but its utter speculation. Nothing more. Chances are Apple doesn't even care. They have their own company to run and don't need to be worrying about a company like Sony who used to put unremovable root kits on users systems without their knowledge know doesn't like it if someone dishes something back to them.

5. elhomero macrumors newbie

I like how Sony defended themselves back then with: "Do people even know what a rootkit is?"

Geohot's hack on the PS3 brought in an utter *****torm with both hacking in Call of Duty:MW2, piracy, and more piracy in the form of the key signing mechanism.

6. chr macrumors regular

Your evidence is completely anecdotal. Many, many developers of applications available through the App Store are against jailbreaking because of piracy, and it's an absolutely huge reason that Apple doesn't like it. I commend you and your friends for avoiding pirated apps, but the fact is piracy amongst jailbroken phones is a huge deal.

7. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Sony CANT ban people, anyone with the keys can unban a console, or PSN ID.

8. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I tend to agree. Apple only gets pissed when people pirate beta copies of their software only because they are afraid of reviewers getting a copy of it and seeing bugs.

I've never seen Apple send a DMCA takedown notice for non-beta software. Heck OSX has never had any copyprotection --not even a CD key. Compare that to Windows dial home crap.

As long as jailbreaking doesn't hurt Apples image they will ignore it.

Piracy is a small blip for the iPhone.