So WTHELL can we do for the light leak issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreenFrog, Aug 25, 2008.

1. GreenFrog macrumors member

It seems like nearly every single iPhone 3G has the light leak problem, ranging from minor to major leakage. Point is, there should be none.

Now, my iPhone has minor leakage to the left and ideally I'd like one that doesn't leak at all. But it seems like no matter how many times you get an exchange for a new one, it's a gamble because chances are you will get one with a) less light leak, b) similar light leak, or c) more light leak, and if you're damn lucky, d) no light leak.

So what can we do? This is really frustrating. It's not like we can wait a few months until the quality stabilizes, which isn't guaranteed to happen, because our 30 Day thingy will run out.

PLUS, I bought mine from AT&T, so my options are even further limited.

I read a thread from some guy who got a Genius to 'tag' his iPhones serial number so that he can get an exchange well into the future (months later) when, hopefully, quality control has taken place. But I doubt this would be a viable option to everyone, let alone for people who purchased their iPhones from AT&T.

So, what CAN we do?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

3. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

O'rly?

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Perhaps you can just wait until the rubber gasket settles, or try to press it into place.

How are your options limited because you bought from at&t? You have the same warranty as everyone else, just go to an Apple Store, and talk to a Genius.

We can complain to Apple, and they can yell at Foxconn until it is fixed, that is about all you can do.

TEG

6. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

So what if, say, it takes 5 months for the light leak to be fixed. Can I just trot into any Apple store and show them my 5 month old iPhone, showing minor leakage, and receive a new iPhone?

7. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

As long as you do it within a year then yes. Trot away.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. I go in about every 3-8 weeks to get them to replace my earbuds. That is what Apple Care is all about. If you spend the $65-$75 to extend it, then you can do it for a full 2 years.

TEG

9. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

sweet, that definitely makes me feel better.

whew.

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

You just learned what a warranty is :).

But yeah, as long as it's not negligence, you can get it fixed/replaced as many times as it takes to keep you happy within the warranty period (standard apple one year).

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

really? what do you tell them? that's awesome.

but yeah, OP, as long as your within warranty, they will swap defective phones for a new or refurbed one.

12. wreckshop macrumors 6502

I plan on buying silicone sealant and filling in the cracks myself. The whole process of masking and sealing should take no more than 10 minutes, and 24hrs for a total cure.

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

One earbud looses full volume, they verify, and replace. The last time it was actually a short in the mic causing the right earbud to be at half volume. Usually it is just my body chemistry eating the silicon gaskets or actually eating the interior.

I wore my first earbuds (from my iPod 3G) until the screens actually popped out because I'd worn off the glue holding them in.

TEG

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

AppleCare is like peace of mind to me. I rarely use it but it is nice to have imo.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Well, for starters you can turn down the drama.

What can "we" do? Start a class action lawsuit or join an existing one.

What can "you" do? An option is to not buy one. Another option is a black magic marker. Yet another option is to go to a Genius and calmly let them know that you believe the issue is a manufacturing defect and you are concerned that there may be other items out of tolerance that could affect the performance of the phone. Or take it from a technical issue into a personal one. If you are in the US, wear some Coke bottle glasses and make them think it is an ADA issue. Or eat stinky cheese, talk low and lean in close during the discussion. The more you ignore personal hygiene the better.

You are the customer and you get to drive, regardless of what the store wants you to do. Make sure the Genius proves to you there is no light leak on a replacement. They don't know how or push back to you? Not your problem, its theirs and they need to solve it.

Sincerely, I hope you get the issue resolved to your satisfaction. You've spent too much money to not be happy with the purchase. Apple/AT&T believe 30 days is long enough for you to discover all issues and let you walk away. Take advantage of that. If not, take advantage of their warranty policies (1 year unless you purchase more).

With proper pressure, you can make them want you to have an iPhone with no light leaks, too.

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

My phone has no light leak. ... ... ... just a second ...
    ... my friend's phone does not either. I think maybe you just got a bad phone. You should go to the Apple Store and ask them about it. Good luck. :)