So, Xoom is really 800 dollars for 3G verison.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Feb 6, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

2. jlasoon macrumors 6502

3. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

How so? It's only 70 dollars more and it will be the future like everyone has been screaming about, 4G.

I mean... people have been screaming for 4G, 4G, 4G like babies. With great service comes with a great price. Enjoy Verizon users. Enjoy your fast 4G network with awesome pricing.

4. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

5. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Umm, if you don't care about 3G, it's $200 more. If you can manage your data, or only require 16gigs of storage, it's $300 more.

I don't know why they didn't do like Apple did and release at multiple price points. I guess they think Apple doesn't know what they are doing.

6. Highcroft macrumors regular

Correction: "To activative WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of one month data subscription is required."

Anyways, I really hope this price isn't true but all the leaks seem to point at either $699 or $799 plus the $20 for one month of service.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

Maybe even an activation fee on top of that.:D

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Since it's tied to a carrier, will it have a contract?

9. Highcroft macrumors regular

Good point. Pay as you go but you have to pay a $30 activation fee every time you add service would go great with this pricing.

10. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

11. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I though the price point would be around the $500-$600, but with an $800 tag I would highly doubt it will be that competitive due to the fact there are other better price Android Tabs out there not to mention iPads.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I would buy it even at $800 because it does pack nice hardware, BUT the monthly service required to activate WiFi(how do you "activate" WiFi anyways?) killed the deal for me. I don't want to pay some greedy carrier a monthly fee for service that I don't need, I have a rooted Evo 4G that I can use for unlimited FREE tethering. Whoever decided to not bring out a WiFi only version for $50-100 less should be fired immediately.

13. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

They are going after the wrong market segment to start with. Average price of iPad sold has been less than $600, meaning lots of $499 models. They aren't going to get that market with that starting point even with the additional hardware features.

14. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

15. PCClone macrumors 6502a

But for the extra money you get Honeycomb and this:

Security researchers at Sophos are urging Google to remove automatic over-the-air installation of apps as a feature from its new web store, noting that it makes the silent addition of malware and spyware to Android users' devices far too easy.

What a bargain.

16. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Motorola realizes the market's current condition and that's exactly why they are packing in the additional hardware features. There's no way a relatively small volume producer like Motorola can match Apple's $500 pricing even if they take out the hardware features unless they make something really cheap. Thus they are targeting the higher end of the market with the Xoom instead and hoping people will pay a higher price for its additional features.

If someone was to beat Apple, it'll be the large commodity producers like Samsung, LG and Asus in the future, not Moto. If everyone's using the same OS and the same processor, which is the case in the Android world, what can Moto do that others cannot? A nicer case?

17. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

You can get iPad 2 64 gb 3g/wifi for 30 dollars more. Plus, 70,000 apps to choose from. Plus, Xoom requires you to buy a plan from Verizon to activate the wifi part, too. epic fail.

18. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    This thread is such a fail only 800 bucks?! are you seriuos? that's $300 more than the starting point for the iPad. Plus that starts to compete with prices on laptops.

Plus the xoom won't be competeing against the iPad, it will be the iPad 2. The iPad 2 will probably have very similar specs to the xoom. and will probably still have a starting price of $500. Many people only need wifi.

4G 4G 4G!!!! oh wait... he xoom doesn't have 4G.... it will be upgradable at a later time to 4G (which I'm sure won't be free...)

19. iPadztr macrumors 6502

so you need to sign a contract to use the 3g? which the iPad is optional. hmm..

20. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

The tablet is great, but I really dislike some of the recent changes to the Android market. Some apps require authentication before they will launch on my phone. So if I'm on airplane mode or out of range of any sort of coverage area (Wi-Fi or wireless), the app will not launch. :mad:

It is that issue why I prefer the App Store and the iOS devices. :apple:

21. MrWillie, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

You need to do at least on month of 3G (@$20 min) to be able to use the wifi.

Cool move Moto

Google and the Google system is all about sucking out information from you so they can sell adds. Heck, bots even scour your G-mail messages so they may send you appropriate adds.

Unfortunately I am hearing rumors of some PAID apps from the Apple store stealing your data.

22. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

It is pay as you go! Xoom requires at least one month of service to activate wifi. You should not have to pay Verizon to use your tablet with your own internet or others' internet wifi.

23. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Not all want 3G or 32GB space. For many 16GB WiFi is sufficient. And iPad WiFi + 3G 64GB is just 30$ more than Xoom. So, from all perspectives Xoom's pricing is a fail.

24. doboy macrumors 68000

So in order to use your tablet with your own wifi, you need to pay $800+$20+$30-35(activation).:)