So, yesterday I went to the Apple store...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thegreatest21, Aug 4, 2007.

1. thegreatest21 macrumors newbie

and asked a few question regarding the MacBook Pro, Adobe Premium bundle, about buying it on Finance and about AppleCare. However, I read a few time in a few forums that if you're a (Higher Edu.) student purchasing you get the 3 Year AppleCare for free but he said that I would need to pay £58 for it, is this right? And while on the topic of buying it in October I asked whether he knew the precise date of Leopard, knowing that of these forums it was mentioned the release is in October but he said that is was going to be Late November :S...

I'm rather confused by all this or have I got my information wrong.:confused:

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You get a 16% discount on the hardware over the phone/the internet vs 8% in store. Macs get a 3 year warranty for free for Students, but Applecare is an extra £58 as it includes phone support too.

3. thegreatest21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh right...Thanks for that...So is it worth getting AppleCare if I have that warranty?

4. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Anyone know if Apple gives American students a three year warranty, or if its just for the UK? I was planning on getting AppleCare for my upcoming MB purchase because I want the parts and labor to be covered (the phone support I don't need so much as I do computer support for a living ;) )

Then again, I can just wait until after I buy my MB to see if I have a three year warranty and if I don't I can just buy AppleCare within the year.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The included three year HE hardware warranty is UK only; Apple negotiated a special deal for UK HE.

As mentioned, it is hardware warranty coverage only, so for a UK student to have full "Applecare" coverage needs the additional purchase at the reduced UK HE price.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't think so. i think you just get a discount on AppleCare (maybe 10% i think)

7. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

As far as I know, here in the US students need to buy AppleCare for the three years.

8. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

No way, AppleCare on a MBP is $239 for a student, and $349 without the discuont.

MacBook AppleCare is $183 for a student, and $249 without the discount.

Much more than a 10% discount :)

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, maybe so. i wasn't sure about how much discount, but i knew you got one

10. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

Wow i didnt know students get that benefit. I bought my mac, showed them my college acceptance letter, they gave my my discount, but did not tell me anything about a three year warranty. Does one have to activate this plan or is it automatic if you bought the computer and showed them the acceptance letter?

11. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

That was what I was hoping for, but then:

So no free 3 year warranty for us. We yanks are going to have to buy AppleCare if we want anything more than the standard 1 year warranty :p

BTW, thanks to everyone who clarified that for me.

12. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

Aww damn, thats too bad, sorry i have to start reading things better, haha

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Also a big warning, to get the 3 yr free parts/labor warranty you have to order from the online store (via your schools intranet/vpn). If you order from a brick and morter you only get the standard 1 yr. You also only get the £58 if you buy in situ with a Mac otherwise you just pay the normal reduced price which is WELL OVER £58

14. MBurton2003 macrumors newbie

15. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Hi - The website and instore seem to offer only a 8% discount on the SR MBPs. Or am I missing something? :confused:

16. bartelby macrumors Core

Can I just get some clarification on this?

My PowerBook was bought with Edu discount. In October it'll be 3 years since I bought it. I have a few issues with my PB will I still be able to get these sorted under warranty?

17. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

You have to buy your amcbook pro through the HE Online Store from in your university or college, the apple stores and educational website outside your college dont give the full HE discount.

You will only have to pay £58ish for the applecare as well.....

On that note, i have jut checked my applecare on the apple site and it no longer shows up in the 'view applecare agreements' section..... its only been 10 months since i purchased...

any ideas as to why its not showing now? I have used applecare to replace a faulty battery and have seen it in this section before!

18. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Stop complaining, your RETAIL pricing is better than our EDU pricing (in Australia).

If the comparison is to be made between US pricing and UK pricing, the brits deserve nothing less than 10 year ProCare considering how much more they pay!

19. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Er, small point here but Apple didn't "negotiate" anything. They were told in no uncertain terms that they were required to provide 3 year warranties for both private and institutional purchases if they wanted to do any more business under the UK HE national agreement.

20. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I can't remember when it all changed but I think it was some time in the last 2 years. It's possible, though unlikely, that it was retro-active. It might be worth getting a telephone number for the HE national agreement customer support by accessing the store via your institution's network and talking to them. Remember to be polite and to sound like the sort of person that you'd actively want to help.

21. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

In order to get the full 16% discount and the extended warranty, your institution has to be part of the national agreement and you need to access the Apple store for HE through your institutions network. For example, at Sussex there's a link to the store from the IT services webpage.

22. tobytoby macrumors member

This is an interesting thread. I'm currently thinking about a MP, but have got totally confused by whether I can use the nice HE discount at a retail store. There seems to be people who are sure you can't, and people who are sure you can! :confused: Quoting from another thread:

This a long thread at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=305453&highlight=UK+HE+discount

Can anyone comment on this - mrploddy seems pretty sure you can...

In any case, that still leaves a question mark over AppleCare from the stores!

Edit: I'm also not sure how kindly the Apple Store bods would take it if you told them to look in a manual as to how to do their jobs! ;)

23. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

Sorry, this is off-topic, but I just love it when I call AppleCare and all the US lines are full or whatever and I get transferred to the UK AppleCare. The US one has the movie trailer-sounding, deep American voice, while the UK one has this alto range female voice. In the US, it's AAApleCare (short a sound) and in the UK, it's EhpleCare ("p" sound almost disappears). Of course, if you're not from the US, my "pronunciation" up there isn't going to help you understand what I mean, but if you are from the US, this is pretty funny!

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yes he's right, YOU CAN use your HE discount in a brick store and yes they look up prices from a booklet BUT you WILL NOT get the 3 yrs parts/labor if you buy from the brick mortar store only the standard 1 yr unless you buy online.....through your schools network

I dont know why Apple does it like that but there you go.

25. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

It's not just Apple and it's not their choice. It applies to many other companies as well.

In order to do business with the UK HE establishment companies have to sign up to the national agreement. Part of that agreement states that they must offer discounts to individuals as well as institutions and another part states that they have to offer a 3 year warranty to all. Apple UK has a division set up to service this national agreement and you can buy from them on-line (through your institution's network) or by telephone, which you can get from your institution or their website.

If you go into a bricks and mortar store and ask for the full educational discount, they will give it to you rather than lose the sale but, as you are buying from plain old Apple retail and not the Apple HE national agreement store, you'll only get the standard warranty. All clear now?