So you guys think I should wait on getting new iMac??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pcollins590, Feb 28, 2011.

1. pcollins590 macrumors newbie

Hello all, it's my first post on these forums. With that said I'll keep it brief haha.

So I've been thinking about getting a new computer, specifically the 27" iMac...I currently have a 6 yr-old dell that's coming to the end of it's life...it's served well!

Well not owning a Mac of any kind previously I was wondering if it's a good time to get one, or do you guys think that I should hold off till the next update?

I clicked on the buyers guide (imac) and it was saying that the imac is approaching the end of it's cycle, however if you go to the apple site it says "introducing the new imac", but it doesn't seem like anything has been changed really...?

So when do you guys think they will release the new version? I know it's all speculation but I'm sure there's some good guesses out there?

Thanks again guys

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Hey, welcome to the forum! Personally, I'd hold off to buy one because new iMacs "should" be coming within a couple months with newer Intel CPUs. I'm trying to sell a Core i3 base model iMac now because I pulled the trigger too early :eek: (I wanted a MBP but due to other concerns, I needed a computer ASAP) so I settled with the base model iMac.

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I usually advise to just buy it when you want it. But after seeing the speeds the new MacBook Pros are doing, I'd say wait. If the 2011 MBP is any indication, the 2011 iMac is going to scream (power and speed-wise). You'll get a LOT more future proofing. And this Thunderbolt thing may be somethin you want, as you can't add it later. Just wait it out.

4. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Reading through the threads I think most MacRumor users anticipate a april/may release.

5. pcollins590 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the replies....I figured as much but just checking the opinions out there :) I have to thumbs up the buyer guide feature, it answered my question almost immediately, "Buy only if you need to, product approaching end of cycle" :rolleyes:

There's probably a good chance that they would coincide a new update with the new OSX Lion perhaps right? That's what I figured anyways.

Also you guys think they are going to update the GPU for the next batch?

6. henrik-s macrumors newbie

A GPU update (along with CPU, RAM and disk space) is very likely.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would say it depends on what you do. If you are just a basic user, then current lineup is more than fine for you and waiting for a faster CPU and GPU won't pay off. On the other hand, if you are more of a power user (gaming, editing, rendering, encoding etc), then waiting for faster iMac might be worth it.

8. pcollins590 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'll be using it for creative purposes such as working with photos and also using it for a lot of music editing.

Part of the reason why I'm going to wait is because I do game here and there, been for ever since I've done it on a computer though, but there will be definitely some games I want to check out in the future, and the current GPU doesn't seem like it will fit the bill. Plus I've waited forever to get a new computer so why not make sure it's top of the line ;)

Not to mention I'm just done with the PC world. Just years of headaches, right now I have norton telling me my subscription has run out and that pretty much the world as I know it is over....too much of this crap haha.

Speaking of PC's any of you guys use bootcamp a fair bit? Is it reliable??....like I said I'll be playing some games on this thing so that's the only windows usage I'll be doing.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's like running Windows on any other computer, technically Macs are PCs as they use the same hardware.

10. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

And remember, like any other computer, bootcamp can get viruses.