So you jailbroke your iPad... What more do you do now???

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by GadgetAddict, Jul 16, 2010.

1. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

The title says it all. What more can you do with a jailbroken iPad? What are the benefits and drawbacks (if any)? What are the best apps out there? Hopefully we can get all the best uses in one thread instead of them being scattered.

Looking forward to you posts...

2. NJBlackBerry macrumors member

Multitasking

Backgrounder allows you to run apps in the background.

Worth the price of admission (free) right there!

3. xraytech macrumors 68020

The are tons of threads about this subject but what the hell.

These are Hacks and Apps that I use.

Backgrounder, not much to say. It does what it says.

Activator, maps button actuations and screen gestures to typical iPad functions. My favorite is holding down the Home Button to Reboot iPad.

ProSwitcher HD, card style multi-tasking.

SBSettings, access toggles from the Home Screen.

ScreenDimmer, sets the time before the backlight dims. You can also set the time before the screen locks.

iFile, a must if you want to access the iOS file system.

Virtual Memory, this is not a Cydia app but a file hack. Page File Goodness.

OpenSSH, it by itself is not very impressive but with iSSH from the App Store gives you the iPad version of MobileTerminal.

NetaTalk, for Mac users only. The easiest way to SSH into the iOS file system. Just make sure you change your root password. And the only way to do that is to use OpenSSH with iSSH.

3G Unrestrictor, I don't use it much but since I have it installed I might as well mention it.

4. ramzhh macrumors regular

I don't understand, doesn't iOS 4 already support multitasking?

5. MarkNH macrumors newbie

Do you have iOS 4 on your iPad? no, because no-one does and therefore no-one with an unjailbroken iPad has multitasking.

The jailbreak implementations of multitasking are also a lot more powerful than the iOS 4 limited/restricted implementation.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Backgrounder doesn't even work properly. Eventually, apps that were backgrounded close by themselves because of the iPad's lack of RAM. I find it very frustrating.

7. GadgetAddict thread starter macrumors 6502

+1. I wonder how Apple is going to handle multitasking on the iPad. I guess it's going to come along with some restrictions.

8. xraytech macrumors 68020

iOS 4 has not come to the iPad.

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

Works fine for me. How many apps do you need to run in the background?

Right now I'm running 12 Apps in the background. On top of that, one of those apps is a graphics intensive game, Super Monkey Ball 2 for the iPad. I'm switching between Pandora and iPod app playing music. And I'm posting on MacRumors as we speak. I'm checking what memory I have left thru SBSettings and I have 55MB to spare.

I rarely would have this many apps running at the same time (at most I usually have 3 or 4) but I just wanted to prove a point. The iPad is more than capable of multi-tasking.

10. newdeal macrumors 68020

Just do the virtual memory hack. Also ios4 will do multitasking just fine as the programs aren't kept open anyway just they have some apis that give you the illusions of multitasking

11. mixvio macrumors 6502

It's not real multitasking, but iOS 4 isn't on the iPad either way.

12. mixvio macrumors 6502

I also second the virtual memory hack. Backgrounder works great with it.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288228

13. xraytech macrumors 68020

+1

iOS4 Multitasking should really be call "Quick App Switching".

14. Venator macrumors newbie

Primarily, I am interested in using the camera connector kit, with my 32Gb pico USB stick. (A procedure which involves iFile)

15. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I don't know where this bullcrap about the iOS4 multi-tasking being not true multi-tasking comes from. It gives the user all they can possibly benefit from using multi-tasking while employing some battery-saving techniques. If anything, this is what multi-tasking should always be like.

16. newdeal macrumors 68020

Yeah i am sure for most peole it will be fine but the ui they have for it on the iPhone is horrible. I really hope they have stacks instead of folders and expose instead of the quick switch dock when it comes to the iPad

17. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I'm going to "third" this. VM works great on the iPad so far. Remains to be seen if it will adversely effect storage memory performance down the line, though.

18. blizaine macrumors 6502

blizaine

except, "quick app switching" wouldn't accurately describe what is happening when you're getting audible gps turn by turn directions, while uploading a file to dropbox, while checking your email, while listening to pandora, while being notified that your are receiving a skype call.

19. mixvio macrumors 6502

Because it's isn't actually multitasking. Whether or not it fakes it to a sufficient degree to work for most people is one thing, but it isn't multitasking.

For example, I can't remain connected to an IM or IRC client indefinitely while playing a game or browsing the internet. "Multitasking" in iOS4 will kill the connection after a few minutes unless I continue switching back to the app, and that's only if the app supports that particular trick to begin with.

Just because they call it multitasking doesn't actually make it multitasking.

20. mixvio macrumors 6502

Well, I'm firmly in the camp that will be updating theirs to whatever revision comes out next year, and I highly doubt the storage flash will die before then. If it does it'll likely be under AppleCare anyway.

21. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Bollocks. BeeJive stays open pretty much permanently in the background. It stayed open on my iPhone at least when I was playing music, downloading something from a downloader app, and browsing an image-heavy site at the same time.

22. simulacra macrumors member

No beejive uses push notifications, those work fine in an IM environment where new messages are somewhat limited, on IRC for instance you usually connect to a number of channels with multiple users, sometimes in the hundreds, and new lines are coming in the droves, somewhere 3 or 4 new messages per second or more, so push for IRC wouldn't work.

Colloquy uses the "complete task" to remain connected to the network for 10 minutes, beyond that you're disconnected.

23. mixvio macrumors 6502

As simulacra said, no it doesn't. Push notifications and so on may fake it, but it's not the same thing.

If faking it works for you, cool. It doesn't work for me though, and it doesn't change the fact that it's still not multitasking either way.

24. iSlanderous macrumors regular

OMG the virtual memory hack is ****ing awesome! I have been hating how easily this thing runs out of memory. Now i can run We Rule, Logmein, Atomic Web Browser, Mobile RSS all at the same time, a bit laggy but multi-taskingtastic! I read a bit of a heated argument about virtual memory being bad on that tutorial.
    2* Questions: Is it true that my iPad could be harmed using virtual memory?
    should i avoid using SBSettings "free memory" button? YES!
    Can i increase the VM to 256mb? to technically double the ram of the device?

Found answer*

25. t.steve macrumors newbie

Besides the must ones (Backgrounder,WinterBoard, Activator, SBSettings) i am also using Cydelete, SNES HD (forclassic Nintendo games...i love it), iFile..they work great