So you think you like collecting computers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

But I bet you haven't quite got the bug that Sellam Ismail has...

Bet his mum was constantly telling him to clean his bedroom. :D
    Much more of the article here.

[​IMG]

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

3. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

That's a lot of computers. Hey look, most people have some desire to collect something. Many get the "Stamp and Coin" bug at a young age. My mother is in her late 80's, and has an extensive collection of small elephant statues. Glass elephants, wooden elephants, elephants made from small pieces of polished stone,, anyway, she's got a lot of 'em. Hey, it make her happy. Still, all those computers,,, He must have a lot of spare room.

A man I've known since the 70's collects political campaign buttons. I'd say he must have over five hundred of them. Some are from major presidential campaigns, and others are from obscure local campaigns.

And me? I collect slide rules. Buying your first slide rule used to be something of a right of passage for high school students. Kids, check with dad. He might have one or two stashed in the attic or closet somewhere.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Wow! I'd love to have some of those computers! :apple:

6. iGav macrumors G3

I bet she still does. ;)

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Lol, true on multiple levels.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah me too. seeing all of these kinds of people makes me want to buy an Apple Cube for some reason....

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

This guy has mixed his job with his pleasure - I think that's awesome.
    Not to mention, all that sh@# is going to be worth a fortune come retirement time.

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

There is not much in this world that could label one more of a nerd than collecting computers, but I think collecting slide rules might give it a run for the money. I do feel that you have a great niche in the collecting community. Slide rules are something that not many know how to use and even fewer would actually want to own them, yet they have a historical place in the technology advancements of the past century. :)

11. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Not 3000, but a MITS Altair 8800b. That's the one I would like to have on display :D I collect flight jackets and older gear like life vests :eek:

12. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It's amazing what people get attached to at a young age and then spend the rest of their lives trying to chase down. I know an older guy who wanted a pair of Converse All-Stars when he was a kid but his mother wouldn't buy them for him. Eventually he bought a pair when he was in his mid-fifties. HOWEVER, he did NOT go out and collect EVERY F*&(&(()) model in existence.
    Extreme to me is not good.

13. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

How about collecting old high school alegbra text books? :eek: Rest assured, somewhere, at this very moment, someone is doing just that. And if you are really, truly trying for the "nerd who lives in his parents basement and never dates" prize, how about comic books and Lord of the Rings merchandise? But seriously, slide rules go back a lot further than you think, and more people than you might realize know how to use them. But, don't take my word for it.

The things some people collect eludes me. Stamps, for one thing. If you're into it, so be it. Baseball cards? Great, if you're eight years old. Some comic, either George Carlin or Bill Maher, said "if you're old enough to shave, and you're still collecting baseball cards, you're a dope."

I knew a man some years ago who had a basement and garage full of old Pontiac GTO parts. I think he might have had enough to build three functional cars. He also had GTO t-shirts, GTO coffee mugs, Key rings, hats, belt buckles, you name it. Last I heard, he was getting divorced. :eek: Maybe he should meet up with computer guy.