So you would rather have an LG screen now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

From the recent posts, it seems like that the general consensus would rather have an LG screen now, rather than a Samsung.

Just wanted to share my experience. I bought the higher spec w/ 750 last week but ended up returning it and buying the base model for $1799.

Right off the bat, I noticed that my LG screen now is much brighter and the whites are very white compared to yellowish tinge on the Samsung. I found my previous unit to be on the dim side even at full brightness. With the LG, I had to turn it down a bit when I had it in full brightness.

Checked the image retention on mine and it didn't have any. Hopefully LG has corrected or updated all of their screens by now.

Just my 02.

2. Texxy, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Well a big problem now is for the people who bought the higher spec w/750 seem to only be coming with the samsung screens.

EDIT...NVM LG is out there as well

3. Breedlove macrumors regular

My LG panel (2.3 750M) has IR after a couple of minutes and slight bleeding in the top right corner.
    Also, it seems that the whites on the left side of the screen are tinged with a pinkish/yellowish hue.
    Will be stopping by the Apple Store tomorrow to get it looked at and maybe replaced.

4. noob420 macrumors newbie

How do i find out what kind of display I have, and if their is any image retention? I have a high end 13" with 16gb ram 512ssd.

Thanks

5. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

When the IR issues were at their worst a bit over a year ago, people were really panicking, and returning even perfectly good laptops, just because they had panels manufactured by LG. Many even said, that they had no issues whatsoever, but they just wanted a Samsung panel.

Then they were bummed when they received their replacements, because at the time many Samsungs had issues with uniformity and backlight bleed.

Both LG and Samsung have good and bad units. If you get a good one with uniform colors and backlight, and no IR, why does it matter which manufacturer made it?

6. EatingApples macrumors member

Hi noob420... just curious...what kind of battery life are you getting out of your macbook pro?

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I got the fully maxed out 15" and I received an LG Panel. Doesn't seem to matter which spec you get.

@ Op, I don't care what screen manufacturer I get as long as the screen looks good. I had to return my rMBP because the LG screen I had suffered from a yellow tint extending outwards from the bottom right corner all the way to the centre of the display.

These displays are very hit or miss, lots of issues from both manufacturers.

8. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Just curious if your LG screen also had IR?

9. sabbyp macrumors regular

no

10. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

It had no IR at all. I ran the checker board test on it for about 2 minutes and noticed no image retention at all.

But from what I understand (I may be wrong) the image retention issue doesn't usually begin the moment you get the laptop but after a few months it appears.

11. Breedlove macrumors regular

This.

Honestly, I might even just return my Retina (15" 750M) and get an Air.

Granted, it's an amazingly fast machine but the screen problems (I have an LG) are so annoying.

I'm trying to get work done and my eyes just keep going to the discolored areas on the screen. Not to mention IR after a couple of minutes. Whites are pink in certain areas!

Totally not worth the hit to productivity. I was hoping to not have to build a new desktop this year for heavier work but it looks like this is exactly what I will be doing.

12. purplekush604 macrumors member

Is there a way to tell like there is with the iphones? I would say mines been good overall.

13. goMac macrumors 603

I didn't own the last gen rMBP, but my 2013 has a Samsung panel and I've been very happy with it's color balance compared to my cMBP.

14. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

I like the LG too. Here's a side by side comparison ...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18293408#post18293408

15. Domdog31 macrumors regular

Nope - LG here

16. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Hows your IR?

17. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I just bought a refurbished early 2013 Ivy-Bridge 15" base model and the first thing I did after boot up as to go into system info and check which screen I had. Initially, I was dismayed to learn I had the LG. However, after A LOT of IR testing and color checking with a variety of different tools, this particular LG screen seems to be perfectly fine.

Go figure.

18. fs454 macrumors 65816

Nope. My Samsung is as good as I could have ever asked for. White whites, no bleed, no IR, no dead pixels. Came on the top tier 15" 2.3.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

19. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

As a previous owner of 2012 and 2013 15"' retinas, having owned and tried both Samsung and LG screens, I think that there is an easy way to check which one you have.

All the Samsung's I've owned lacked the brightness even at full settings. With the LG, having it at full brightness will be bothersome. So in other words, the LG screens are significantly brighter and whiter than Samsung screens.

Please feel free to confirm or negate my statement above if you have both brands of screens. P

20. tmiw macrumors 68000

I'm perfectly fine with my screen after having calibrated it, regardless of manufacturer. That may or may not change down the road though. :apple:

21. Domdog31 macrumors regular

Absent

22. mankymanning macrumors regular

Maxed out 15" here with LSN154YL01-A01 pabel, Samsung. Nice and white, lovely screen.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Once I calibrate, all my screens look the same. Doesn't matter who makes the panels.

24. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

How do you calibrate? Is it a utility you have to install?

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes and no.

It's a utility, but it depends on a hardware calibrator.

The utility lets you customize the profile, but ultimately the hardware calibrator actually makes sure your colors are accurate.

For printing you would need to also calibrate your printer as well.

If you doing photography, invest in a color checker passport.