... So you'd like to buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 1111!!!, Apr 13, 2009.

  1. 1111!!! macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2009
    Hi there,

    I've been thinking of buying a MacBook Pro, I was going to buy it next month, but then I started having second thoughts. My concerns:

    - The new 17'' screen model seems like what I want, but do I really want a screen that large? Even though I'll be working with graphics on it, I don't want to carry that around, I started thinking I want a 15'' screen instead.

    - ... but, the 15'' models don't seem to have an anti-glare option (which costs extra??)? I don't like glossy screens.

    - The 17'' specs are more to my liking. Buying a 15'' model with the same specs costs almost as much as the 17''! That annoys me, because then I start thinking I should just get the 17'' one.

    - Battery life... 8 hours sounds great. But the battery is built-in... no spare batteries! On the other hand, 8 hours!!

    - Product life-cycle: when will Apple put new models of their notebooks on the market? I don't think I need to buy right away, I could wait a few more months. But not too many.

    Thanks for reading, if you have advice for me, I appreciate it!
  2. DerekS macrumors 6502

    Jun 25, 2007
    Love my 17, love the 8 hour (and sometimes MORE) battery.

    Wouldn't trade it for anything.

    THe form factor is a non-issue. It's 1.25 inches bigger than the 15 in two directions, big deal.

    As for time to buy, it was just updated, so now is the time.
  3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502


    May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    go for the 17.

    every time someone comes and asks this question, all the 17-inchers come out and say "they aren't that big!" and then the OP goes out and buys a 17.

    so just skip all this foreplay, please.
  4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a


    Mar 26, 2008
    ha ha, great post.

    I say get the 17". It really does look like a great machine. I would totally get one too but I would still need a 13" to wag and drag.
  5. 1111!!! thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2009
    Maybe I am a small midget. In which case, it would make a huge difference.

    I read somewhere (on this site?) that they were upgrading the notebooks with the new Intel processors. Maybe in September(?) when the new :apple: OS is available? I could wait till September. Hence my question. Well, I appreciate the sarcastic replies, although amusing, they were not particularly informative, and therefore my mind is still not made up.
  6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Jul 5, 2008
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    ...I laugh when I'm on a plane and someone tries to open up any MBP (15" or 17") and can't due to the "tool" in front of them that reclines their seat all the way back...

    Laptops should be portable for "traveling", get the smallest one you can travel with in comfort.
  7. desiringGod macrumors regular

    Feb 15, 2008
    My wife's 15 MBP seems too big to me to carry around.

    Unless you needed the dedicated video card, higher screen resolution while traveling, or firewire, I would recommend doing what I am about to do.

    1. Buy a refurb macbook ($1100 for the 2.0 and $1300 for the 2.4)
    2. Buy a good external monitor ($300-$800)

    This give you portability of a small laptop with the luxury of a large display at home.

    New processors are always coming out, so just buy and if one comes out that really knocks your socks off then you can always sell your computer for a decent price and upgrade. My wife has the two generation ago MBP and there is no lack of speed or performance when running Photoshop, Imovie, or FCE, so I don't think it is a big issue.
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Even as someone who has never owned a laptop larger than my 13" MacBook, I strongly disagree.
  9. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030


    Jun 15, 2005
    There could be an update within a few months time (for back-to-school) and/ or an update around Oct/ Nov (for holiday season). But the first depends on whether Apple wants to bump the MBP soon, and the Oct/ Nov update depends on Intel's ability to get the new 32nm mobile processors out in time for the holiday season (or if Apple wants to use them straight away). If not, then that update will happen around Q1 2010. Also if you wait for Sept (maybe Oct), you'll get Snowy for free so no forking out to upgrade later.

    Oh and I'd like to say that with 2 batteries, the 15" MBP would probably last 9, maybe 10 hours under normal use. So 8 hours (or 7.5 hours in real-world) without having to carry around extra bulk is pretty good for most people.
  10. opera57 macrumors 6502

    Feb 15, 2009
    They are both excellent machines really, and i'm sure you would be happy with either. My cousin got a 17" MBP a few years ago, and soon after I got the 15" (mainly due to the fact that I couldn't afford the 17). I am really happy with the 15", but the 17" gives quite a bit more screen space, and its not much heavier at all. From what you say in your post it sounds as if the 17" is better suited for you, but you might aswell go to the apple store or a reseller if there is one close to you and try them both out to see which one would be better suited for you! [​IMG]
  11. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

    Apr 8, 2009
    New/upgraded is not always for the best. I purchased my 17" MBP in May of '07 and was immediately bummed out when, less than a month later, in June they rolled out the updated models with the Nvidia gpu's...but those cards have been horrendous. They almost all fail eventually...plenty of horror stories on this site about them. So, in retrospect I'm very glad I got what I got. (Look at Vista in the Windoze world...many users switched to the newest thing and then reverted back to XP.)

    As far as size...if you want extreme portability then neither a 15" or 17" MBP are good options. But my MBP is a whole lot more portable than my Mac Pro. ;)

Share This Page