So YouTube will no longer work on Apple TV 2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by saintforlife, Apr 20, 2015.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/20/youtube-older-apple-tv-discontinued/

Bummer...this might be the year I finally upgrade the aging Apple TV 2.

2. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

Such BS. A 4-year old media player, which works perfectly, is no longer supported. The Apple TV 2 is only 4 years old! How long before we're forced to replace our devices yearly?

Google has deep pockets. There is no reason why they can't continue to have a YouTube player that works with these slightly older devices.

3. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

At least you didn't buy a smart tv a few years ago those won't work either.

4. cactus3 macrumors member

Oh, smart tvs.. I had gotten the Google TV awhile back, and within a year of getting it they had already discontinued flash for it, so I can barely use the internet! The YouTube app still works, but it's ancient.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

This is a great example of why buying smartTVs, even today, is a bad idea.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

This is why I preach to never buy a TV with Smart Functionality (or at least don't buy the TV because of the smart functions). I technically own a couple TV's with "Apps", but have never used them. I wanted the other features of the TV and at a certain price point you can't not get "Apps"....

7. cactus3 macrumors member

Honestly, whether it's today or 30 years from now, I don't think smart tvs will ever become a huge thing. Like paulrbeers said, you can't not get apps at a certain point.

Though, I do like the keyboard remote for the Google TV... :D

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It isn't Google's fault. Apple is no longer updating the Apple TV 2 so there is no way Google could update it if they wanted to.

9. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Does it really cost more to buy a smart TV? it is an example of why you should not depend on smart TVs for internet TV but buying one is not a big deal

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I have not researched TVs in little bit, but a year ago when I was looking for a bedroom TV, it seemed there were equivalent models available, where one was a smart TV and another was the same TV but with basic firmware and no apps usually for about $50 less, depending on the size of the TV.

It looks like currently some very high-end models are available only with smart features. Nevertheless, I would still seek to try to find the same panel in a dumb tv if possible.

11. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

My dream is an affordable 4K 80" TV with no 3D or smart apps connected to a 4k Apple Tv. Getting closer but not quite there yet

12. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

Don't rush out an upgrade your Apple TV 2. As far as I can tell Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) still does Youtube just fine so all you need to do is jailbreak your ATV 2. I like Kodi's Youtube interface better anyway. However, I haven't been able to find if this will hold after Google turns off the old system.

13. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Totally agree, the anger is vented in the wrong direction. Its apples refresh policy thats the issue.

14. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

Yeah, Smart TVs end up costing twice as much as their "dumb" counterparts and it's a lot easier to physically replace an Apple T.V., you could even use the same HDMI and power cables.

----------

I guess I'll have more interest than usual in the new  TV this year. The 1080p output and YouTube channel might convince me to buy a new  T.V.. It'll be interesting to see what they put into the new  T.V..

----------

I don't think most people are going to want to jailbreak their Apple T.V. just to get YouTube. I'm definitely not going to jailbreak it. Besides, it's $100 for a new one. That's the least expenive thing Apple sells that has a processor. It's not a $200-$400 subsidized ( $650-$850 unsubsidized) iPhone or a $500 iPad.

15. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

There are a lot more features if you JB besides Youtube. At one time you could sell them at a premium on eBay and have enough left to buy a couple AppleTV 3s (don't know if that is still the case, though). However, if you don't want to jb, it would be worth looking into.