So... =)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Communism, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Communism macrumors newbie

Communism

i got my MBP today =)))

yay!

it's the 2.53, 4gig mem, 512 video

and i absolutely LOVE it =)

any reccomendations on anything i need to get/do right away?

i have istat and did my updates

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Congrats! :)

I'd recommend becoming familiar with the apps that come with your MBP first, then adding 3rd party apps sparingly as you need them.

Whatever you do, don't install Windows! :)

Enjoy ;)

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

heh, from now on Vista is going to be the first thing I install on a new mac (that is until its successor comes out)

OP: I strongly recommend Aperture if you do any pro/hobbyist work, especially if you shoot in RAW. And quicksilver for app launching and file manipulation. If you're really into the terminal there's a Symbl plugin that can be found at blacktree.com, called Visor. It's ridiculously handy.

4. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I use windows almost as much as I use OS X. :eek:

Really though, I use it way more than I ever thought I would.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

samezies. I grew up using both OS's, but I pretty much switched entirely to OS X two years ago, but I've been using Vista lately a lot more. Vista is really nice, way better than XP. It was a bit of a resource hog, but since service pack 1 it's been pretty smooth lately.

6. OmahaGTP macrumors member

Surprised to see someone else say it on this forum, but seriously. Vista is a huge step in the right direction for MS. MS has the unfortunate task of trying to be all things to all people.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congrats on the computer!

As with TuffLuffJimmy's recommendation of Aperture, Lightroom is good as well and it's tightly integrated with Photoshop if you have it installed. Of course that's not to say Aperture isn't just a good.

8. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I'm assuming you're a dude so here is my recommendation: resist the temptation to take a magnifying glass to every inch of your new MBP looking for flaws so you can create a thread about it. Nothing in life is perfect. Remember that you're a man and men don't sweat the small stuff! Losing sleep over tiny cosmetic flaws is an annoying female trait. Man up! and enjoy your new machine. ;)

9. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

what will aperture do for me that photoshop wont?

i have photoshop in the mail right now, gogo student discount, haha

im just curious, i've heard a lot about it, and im not sure if i wanna pick it up yet.

i do a lot of band photography, live shows, promos and the like i have a new rebel xsi i just picked up, and im upgrading my photoshop to cs4 and getting the mac version.

thanks guys =)

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It will be much better at organizing (since organizing in photoshop is nonexistent) and the nondestructive editing is a definite perk. For the most part, unless you're adding effects, Aperture will be all you need for adjusting and fixing pictures.
    Watch it here, In action.
    The tutorials are also a good place to see the powerful stuff it does, while keeping your photos organized.

11. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

:eek:

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Alright, alright. That's right after I get rid of dashboard, the dock, and install quicksilver. ;)

13. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Then there is also GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), which is free...not to be mistaken with the Crumpler Gimp sleeve, nor a human gimp. Don't ask me, I didn't name them.

Btw, isn't it awesome when an acronym contains an acronym?

14. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Ok, phew you had me worried. Just kidding, you're even more nuts than I had previously thought, especially if you're doing this on Leopard :D

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

He's got photoshop on the way ;)