Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Although the Series 2 Apple Watch is water resistance, the Apple User's Guide states that exposing the watch "to soap or soapy water" while showering or bathing or to "insect repellant lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye" will diminish the water resistance of the watch and "should be avoided." Unless one is accustomed to showering without soap or swimming only in indoor pools, this seems to make the water resistant quality of the watch a none too useful feature.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Why would someone wear a watch in the shower anyway?

As to the other stuff, I think if you take the Watch off before applying insect repellent or sunscreen it ought to be fine. Just be sure and rinse the device in fresh water at the end of the day.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Although the Series 2 Apple Watch is water resistance, the Apple User's Guide states that exposing the watch "to soap or soapy water" while showering or bathing or to "insect repellant lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye" will diminish the water resistance of the watch and "should be avoided." Unless one is accustomed to showering without soap or swimming only in indoor pools, this seems to make the water resistant quality of the watch a none too useful feature.
That's one of those disclaimers that almost needs to be pointed out. However, I think you are safe with soap and water. I agree with the other items.

It's like an automatic car wash. They post signs that they are not responsible for damages that occur to your car during the cleaning. Fact is, they are responsible and they simply hope people will forgo pressing charges because of the sign.

If your series 2 has water damage from showering, they will replace.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

It also depends if you plan on lathering the Watch in soaps or what have you. Getting the Watch wet is acceptable, but lotions and Soaps are foreign substances to the Watch. If one was to come in contact with soap or lotion while wearing the Watch, I would make haste to rinse the Watch thoroughly.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Why would someone wear a watch in the shower anyway?

As to the other stuff, I think if you take the Watch off before applying insect repellent or sunscreen it ought to be fine. Just be sure and rinse the device in fresh water at the end of the day.

I agree. I never wore my non-Apple watches in the shower, so why would I wear my AW in the shower?

I clean my S0 with a touch of soap and water once a week after my final workout for the week. I am careful not to get soap in the speaker or mic holes, but I clean the face and back real good.

I am careful with bug spray and sunscreen, but I do not remove my watch to apply them.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
If using suntan lotion while swimming or lather while showering is going to damage the Apple watch, what use is there in it being water resistant–in case you fall into a lake while rowing or something like that?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If using suntan lotion while swimming or lather while showering is going to damage the Apple watch, what use is there in it being water resistant–in case you fall into a lake while rowing or something like that?

Proper hand washing requires getting the wrists (and hence the AW) wet, but it doesn't mean you scrub the AW itself with soap.

It's not a given that soap/lotion damages the AW. Plenty of people have gotten it soapy with no ill effects. However, it's not rated against soapy water and it's merely a standard disclaimer by Apple.

Reactions: BlueMoon63

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think that these warnings are just that. Warnings. Plenty of people stayed they showered (using shampoo) with their first gen daily and it's been fine going on two years. I too am confused why a person showers with a Watch but that's neither here nor there.

In short I wouldn't worry about it.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006

You're overthinking it. It's just a standard disclaimer not to immerse the device in those things. You won't damage the device through normal use.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I've half-joked that if Apple says "soap is okay", you'll get some yahoo who decides to soak their watch in Goo Gone and scrub it down with Lava soap and a brillo pad.

Some soaps, cleaners, bug sprays, and sunscreens have chemicals that aren't too good for seals used in watches (any watch, not just the AW). Standard recommendations are to rinse off a watch when it's gunky.

The idea that "if it's okay for your skin, it's okay for a watch" isn't exactly valid because you're always growing new skin. A watch can't regrow its own case or seals as they wear out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.