Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wally

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
haha so i guess im not as used to this computer as i thought... unfortunatly i deleted the dvd player on the computer when i was trying to put it on the dash... dont ask how... act of sheer stupidity... anyone know a quick way to get it back or am i gonna have to use the system restore disk..

thanks guys

alex

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Forget that, it's 31MB. I'll upload it to my server and let you download it. WHEN IT'S DONE (give it about 1 minute) it can be found at ********************.

EDIT: Removed link.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Mood said:
lol i don't think you should show that link to everyone.

Oops, why. It's not like anyone that doesn't have a Mac can run it, and it comes with every Mac OS. I'll remove it now anyway though.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
You can try this!

Pacifist is a great program for just such a problem. It lets you install only those components of a software package that you need.

http://www.charlessoft.com/

I used it when I added a combo drive to my G3 iBook. It works great!

Mood

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
NY
so how does a program in os x work? is it always just one file?

like in windows, aim has several .dlls and other files for it to run properly, but in the os x versions i only see 1 file.

same with mozilla firefox, games, dreamweaver? or do they have several files to them.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Mood said:

like in windows, aim has several .dlls and other files for it to run properly, but in the os x versions i only see 1 file.

same with mozilla firefox, games, dreamweaver? or do they have several files to them.

It's usually just one file for the program, then these programs create other files called preference files that keep your setting. It's OK if these files are deleted, it just loses your settings. A lot better design that Windows' registry, huh? :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Mood said:

Yeah it's pretty much one file. That's the reason we can do drag-and-drop installs and uninstalls. You just drag the icon for the program into your application folder - installed. Drag the icon for the program from your applications folder to the trash - uninstalled. Very, very easy.

Mood

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
NY
heck yeah!

so that means that like halo is just one big file? sweet.

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Strictly speaking, it's one big *folder* disguised as a file; when you double-click on it, it actually runs an executable file somewhere inside it, with lots of support files a la Windows. But from a normal user perspective, yes, it's one ginormous file.

Mr.Hostility

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2005
gallivant said:
Strictly speaking, it's one big *folder* disguised as a file; when you double-click on it, it actually runs an executable file somewhere inside it, with lots of support files a la Windows. But from a normal user perspective, yes, it's one ginormous file.

One of the things I love about OS X vs. Windows. You don't have to keep track of programs leaving behind orphan files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.