Sob story - soda spill on Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wncmacuser, May 8, 2011.

1. Wncmacuser macrumors newbie

Just spilled sprite on my MBP. I know, I know: Dumb move, should get a keyboard cover, etc. So - it shut itself down immediately, I then unplugged, and then removed the battery about 30 seconds later. It's been upside-down ever since. I'll take it to a shop as soon as I can, but I deperately need it for work.

So - how bad a sign is it that it shut down right away? It couldn't have been more than about a tablespoon that spilled, but . . .

Also, do I really need to leave the power off for three days absent a trip to the shop or a complete takedown and rebuild? Before I take it in or take it apart, I'd kind of like to try to turn it on, just for the purposes of triage, not to mention needing to get work done and not really having time to wait in the service queue or a morning free to DIY.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

Sorry this happened. I sympathize: it could happen to me.

I wonder if www.ifixit.com has any help for you. This would be an example:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/23734/spilled+water+on+MacBook+Pro+keyboard

Good luck.

3. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's a good thing that it immediately shutdown. All you can do is let it dry out for a while and try to turn it back on.

4. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

That probably means that the soda reached an electric circuit which caused a short-circuit. It could have been anything ranging from battery, logic board, or anything else. In any case, it's not a good sign.

5. Wncmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

End of the story.

Just in case anyone else pulls a genius move like mine and comes here looking for solace, here's what happened:

1) After three days, I turned my MBP on (without putting the battery back in) in order to get all the data I would need to keep working while it was in the shop.

2) I took it to the shop: they did a build-down, cleaned everything, and inspected the logic board. Ultimately they determined that while some of the spill may have made it there, it wasn't a threat, and put the computer back together.

(2.5 - I brought the MBP home, booted it up - and discovered that the shop had installed someone else's hard drive when they put it back together. Took it back to the shop, grateful to have a problem that was so easily resolved, and that made someone besides me look like a bonehead.)

3) I have had no problems with my computer since, though occasionally some of the keys will stick if they've been out of use for a while. My wife notices the problem, but I notice it only on very rare occasions.

Total cost: $180 and four days without my work computer. But that got me a fully functional MBP with no fears that the soda residue was eating away the insides. So my advice is:

a) buy a keyboard protector
    b) do all the stuff I outlined in my original post
    c) take it to a shop as quickly as possible (though you may, depending on your need and your courage, be able to turn the computer on enough to get what you need off of it).

Bottom line, though: based on my experience, if you've just had a minor soda spill, you probably have NOT just killed (or even maimed) your computer, even if it shut itself off. So take heart.

6. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

this is an awesome story! Good to hear it survived the spill.

Keyboard protector and know where the local Mac repair places are!

:):cool:

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

one idea is never have food/drink anywhere near such an expensive investment. Seems obvious but often overlooked.

Most Apple Authorized Service centers and other notebook repair shops have contact cleaning solution to dilute the liquid damage; i've done a few of them before and depending on the extent of damage it can be easily fixable.
    That is a pretty reasonable price for a fix like that too.

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

For any electronics its best to disconnect the power source and leave the device unpowered until the device is dry. If something like soda is spilled then it needs to be cleaned up and then fully dried out. Otherwise you risk causing further damage.

10. Fultonpics macrumors member

glad it worked out. my kid's macbook had a beer spilled on it. it went to apple and they said the mb had a short and needed to be replaced--cost quite a bit more than your repair. so i guess these things aren't really water (liquid) proof yet. maybe some day!

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I would be very impressed to see Apple do what Lenovo has done.

Their ThinkPads are designed to survive fluid spilled onto the keyboard. The liquid spilled is channeled out through drain holes in the bottom of the laptop. It's impressive to see it first hand.

We got 40 of these at work last year. It was only a few weeks till one of the engineers in my group spilled a sugary coke all over his, while we were standing there talking.

We all watched in horror, having forgotten about this feature till we saw the sticky soft drink draining out the bottom. It was on at the time, and nothing happened.

Next problem, the keys were drenched and therefore still very sticky after being wiped off.

Next really great ThinkPad advantage.

They have movies on the web site showing "How To's" for various repairs that are approved for users. I knew about this, looked up removing the keyboard and was very impressed that just four screws easily accessed from the bottom and I had the keyboard removed. Took it to the sink, washed it off and used a hot air gun to dry it.

Screwed it back together, and in approx 45 minutes it was as good as new. Just out of curiosity, I called for a price had the keyboard been ruined. Only $38.00 plus tax & shipping. They even had them in stock. Considering ThinkPad keyboards are widely considered the best in the business, I'm envious that my new 15" MBP lacks this very smart feature.

I've used a PowerBook / MacBook Pro daily at work, for over 12 years and never spilled anything. That's because I never eat or drink within three feet on my computer. But that doesn't protect me from others carelessness as they stop by my desk.

Glad to hear things worked out for the OP :)

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, not the laptops apple produces anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7cvi00OZDM

This Thinkpad resists a very controlled "spill". Still I can imagine that if you spill a full cup of coffee, some liquid will go somewhere it shouldn't.

13. Apple Geek macrumors newbie

well i spilled water on my macbook last summer and went to apple store told em keyboard dont work thats all he said okey we will see what we can do about it, guess what they repaired it for free !!! :D:D:D

im soo happy

14. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

So in other words you're saying you got your machine repaired for free under false pretenses. Yeah, that's something to be proud of.

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Doesn't have to be from Moshi...there are tons out there that are cheaper than Moshi...and works great.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

For those suggesting a keyboard cover:
    There are also the perforated metal regions where the speakers sit, and the cracks on the edges of the touchpad. Are these areas less sensitive (because the logic board is located below the keyboard mostly?) or is it just a matter of reducing the risk?

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Reducing risk and shiny keys :p.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Anyone of average intelligence knows nothing is free. The reason Apple tends to be so generous with exchanges & product returns is due to the high price we pay to buy them up front. My new 15" MBP cost just over $3,200 USD, my new equally configured 15" ThinkPad bought in the same month cost just under $1900.

You can see with over $1,000.00 more than the ThinkPad, Apples got lots of extra money to compensate them for incidentals. The Apple marketing machine is far superior to any other company.

Jobs was the worlds best salesman. He could sell anything at any price. Quite the accomplishment.

19. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I'm not understanding the point of this thread.

Somebody spilled something on their mac and Apple fixed it at the users expense.

20. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

What Apple charges is beside the point. You were willing to pay what Apple was asking for one of their products. That doesn't give you free reign to commit fraud and ask for a warranty repair for something that was caused by accidental damage.

Are you saying that just because I paid $250k for a Ferrari I should be able to bring it in for free warranty repair after I crash into a tree?

21. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If water, we would have bit of hope but soda...
    Even if it gets dried up, its hella going to be sticky.......

22. Pro User macrumors newbie

Don't see how you can compare 512 GB apple SSD (1k only way I could get price to $3k on 15") to the 128GB (or 160GB for $80 more) SSD on Lenovo's thinkpads.