Soccer Website - Looking for Reviews

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by DJAKO, Apr 6, 2011.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

Soccer Surfer organizes your favorite soccer (football) player's biographies, pictures, and videos all into one. Be sure to check out the players page to see the top players as voted by other visitors.

I've been working on this website on and off for a couple years and finally feel like it's done. I've put a lot of work inputing and uploading pictures to the database and wanted to give visitors a "one stop shop" for information regarding soccer players, clubs, etc.

The videos page pulls youtube videos for the Top 10 rated players in the database.

Let me know what you guys think, there are still a couple things I know I still need to fix, but I feel it's about ready.

2. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Hi djako - it's a good site, functional, works as expected..

..I just didnt particularly find it visually interesting I'm afraid - I hope you don't take that the wrong way as you've done a great job making it.

3. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

No problem man, I won't take it personally ;)

Do you have any suggestions on how to make it more visually interesting? Anything in particular you don't like?

I've also added a search bar under the banner that will help users easily search for various information.

Does anyone else have any other comments or suggestions?

4. RedElectro macrumors regular

It's a good site... I wouldn't normally associate that tone of blue with soccer though?! Well Manchester City perhaps? ;)

Wouldn't green have been a more suitable choice? I like the idea of the netting behind the logo and menu, just think it's a bit subtle.

Try changing the blue for green, make the netting more like a football net and make the logo a bit bigger!

Not sure about the font in the main feature either.

It looks well put together though. Just a few things that sprung to mind for me.

5. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Take a look at skysports.com - a great site, and shows you can have a bit more going on visually..

6. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

I like what you've done with the icons for each team (wide rounded rectangle with info on top of country flag), but I do agree with the others in the sense that the general interface can use some finetuning. I don't think it's necessarily about making it look better....but look more soccer-oriented. To me it looks a bit to corporate/template~ish and maybe some green instead of the blue will help it.

Nevertheless, the usability of the site seems great and you've definitely valued function over form....which can be a good thing.

7. manueld macrumors 6502

On your homepage, instead of explaining what your site does, why don't you just show a preview? Like showing part of the roster, some of your videos, etc.. That way you can keep your visitors engaged with new content.

8. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the reviews and compliments guys, I'll see what I can do to lively up the design a bit and rework some of the colors.

I like this idea a lot, I'm going to see if I can rework something so when you click on the small thumbnail, it actually opens up a working version of the thumbnail that the visitor can play around with.

9. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to show you guys what I've been working on. Using a little PHP I've created an easy way for others to generate an image of their favorite players for either putting in signatures or linking on their websites.

Here's some examples, what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

11. -pete- macrumors member

The design is clean and the information is clear and your content is well written which is more than half the battle.

As others say, it just looks a little "templated" at the moment, try using some more interesting backgrounds and / or colours.

Also whilst the little portraits next to the flags looks great for individual players, it seems to struggle a little bit when it comes to clubs and nations. A second pass at scaling them to fit the thumbnails could really help :)

Like I say, the general layout is great and you look to have put alot of effort in so good job with that, but a few minor tweaks here and there are all that you should really need to do.

Did you write it completely from scratch?

12. antonio1988 macrumors newbie

Personally I like the design, everything seems good to me)

13. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Rename it as football then everything will be fine :)