SOCKS!


Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
463
0
i just dont understand the point of the sock , especially when your paying like 30 bucks for 5 of them that you could make or buy the same type of sock elsewhere for a few bucks
 

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
1,331
0
Canada
I want to know if they will come out with ipod shuffle socks?

They would have to be pretty damn small :eek:
 

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
590
0
East Lansing, MI
sjpetry said:
After thinking about it Apple should make screen covers. Every Mac person would buy one just because Steve Jobs would tell us to. :cool:
Actually Acme Made has been making them for several years. If and when I get an external display for my PB, I can assure you I will be purchasing one. I have a feisty cat at home who knows what makes me tick.

re: socks

I'm gonna check these out next weekend. Need something for my silver mini and my girl's green one. Figure I can give a third one to a student who works in our lab because she just got a mini and owns an iBook.

Somebody should make a retro sock of the late 70s variety. A white athletic sock with green and yellow bands.
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,889
25
Northern Virginia
Espnetboy3 said:
i just dont understand the point of the sock , especially when your paying like 30 bucks for 5 of them that you could make or buy the same type of sock elsewhere for a few bucks
I know what you mean. I like the idea of a PB 12" sock, but am affraid at what Apple would charge for it. :eek:
 

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
8,889
25
Northern Virginia
Inspector Lee said:
Actually Acme Made has been making them for several years. If and when I get an external display for my PB, I can assure you I will be purchasing one. I have a feisty cat at home who knows what makes me tick.

re: socks

I'm gonna check these out next weekend. Need something for my silver mini and my girl's green one. Figure I can give a third one to a student who works in our lab because she just got a mini and owns an iBook.

Somebody should make a retro sock of the late 70s variety. A white athletic sock with green and yellow bands.
Very nice, but too pricey IMO. I would buy something like this or the sock if it were $10-15.
 

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
590
0
East Lansing, MI
Chip NoVaMac said:
Very nice, but too pricey IMO. I would buy something like this or the sock if it were $10-15.
I agree about the coin. But when it is really the only thing out there you don't have much choice. Come to think of it, if I get a display in the next few months, I should rig a black turtleneck as a cover. Now that would be slick. :D
 

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
9,210
432
NY
Espnetboy3 said:
i just dont understand the point of the sock , especially when your paying like 30 bucks for 5 of them that you could make or buy the same type of sock elsewhere for a few bucks
True, but then it won't have an apple logo on it ;) :p
 

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
299
0
Chucktown, SC
I have had a strange shift in my feeling about the socks. My first thought was, "wow...that's pretty dumb," but ever since then, I've been drawn to them. Kinda like a chia pet.
 

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
935
0
Brooklyn, NY
SuperChuck said:
I have had a strange shift in my feeling about the socks. My first thought was, "wow...that's pretty dumb," but ever since then, I've been drawn to them. Kinda like a chia pet.

They are great. Why would u spend just as much money if not more on a case that is produced by someone else just to make your iPod look ugly and add about and inch to it on each dimension. The sock is simple and effective, made by apple and it works and looks great.
 

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
463
0
i just cant spend 30 plus bucks on a piece of cloth , i mean wat does it do protect the ipod when your not using it? I woul djust get a leather case and be able to use it wit the leather case on it and hav ethe belt clip if i need it
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
sjpetry said:
Get an iPod Armor because I bet the sock would protect your iPod from a flight down the stairs(I don't wanna talk about it. :eek: ).
Will the iPod Armor protect my iPod if it falls out of my pocket while I'm skydiving? :cool:
 

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
935
0
Brooklyn, NY
I dont know about everyone else but the major problem I had with my 1st gen iPod was trying to keep it from getting scratched in my pocket with keys or coins, or in my car glove box etc., not dropping it from 600 feet up out of a plane. The sock solves my problem without making my new iPod look ugly or adding bulk. Hence why i think they should come out with iBook and PowerBook socks.
 

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
1,004
0
Oak Park, IL
The socks are nice for their simplicity (and their undeniably hip look ;)), and they certainly aren't something just anybody could make. The material Apple uses for these things is extremely elastic. The socks come small enough to fit a mini, but easily stretch to fit full-sized pods without exposing any holes in the knitting.

A regular iPod will initially fit very snugly into a sock, but slowly stretch it out. The only "problem" I've encoutered with the sock I use with my 4G iPod (I bought a pack and then gave three of them away as Christmas presents) is that, once the sock is stretched out, the iPod can easily slide out of it. Specifically, the 'Pod has slid out while in a pocket, exposing it to pens and keys and whatnot that can scratch its body.

I solved that problem by just wrapping my earbuds around the socked iPod (lengthwise) when I'm not using it (also keeps my earbuds from tangling up, so it's really a win-win).

And yes, I would probably buy a sock for my 12" Powerbook if Apple made one. Maybe they'll come in matching pairs! :p
 

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
463
0
i hear that but the leather cases dont add bulk and u can use it when its in it and u get a clip , as far as ibook cases or powerbook cases , how are they getting scratched people must not be taking care of them i can see an ipod where its screen is exposed and it might be in a pocket or seomthing but just get a regular carrying bag i think that a green or pink sock would look very funny and stupid on a laptop i wouldnt wanna be seen carrying my laptop around in a colored sock lol
 

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
935
0
Brooklyn, NY
Espnetboy3 said:
i hear that but the leather cases dont add bulk and u can use it when its in it and u get a clip , as far as ibook cases or powerbook cases , how are they getting scratched people must not be taking care of them i can see an ipod where its screen is exposed and it might be in a pocket or seomthing but just get a regular carrying bag i think that a green or pink sock would look very funny and stupid on a laptop i wouldnt wanna be seen carrying my laptop around in a colored sock lol
#1. All leather casses add bulk...
#2. Obviously you arn't aware that laptops are ment to be portable and hence are subject to the wears and tears of travel. Cases for laptops tend to be rather expensive and can also add bulk. A sock would prevent the scratches to your computer as well as being slim enough to toss into your backpack instead of carrying a seperate case just for you notebook.
#3. If your not comftorable with the pink sock use the grey one or blue one.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Don't forget foof's options. They make some pretty cool looking cases, although I don't personally own one. And they have great attention to interesting fabric. They periodically make something really wacky and sell it as a limited-time-only, like they are talking about making some iPod covers from kimono obis.

http://foofpod.com -- that's the cover for the iPods
http://foofbag.com -- that's the cover for the notebooks