Soda in Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emoflamingo, Feb 24, 2009.

1. emoflamingo macrumors newbie

I read through this thread and need some advice.

First, I have gone through this before. The kiddo knocked a drink off the table next to me (a good foot away) and got it into the computer. Unplugged, turned it off, took out the battery and cleaned the keyboard and it worked fine. And somehow, he managed to do it again. This time, it was substantially more soda from a farther distance. It turned itself off as I tried to drain it out and clean it off. I left it off and forgot to take the battery off. (I was doing homework for my night class when he did this and I had less than 30 minutes to change, dry my book and get to class after I got the pop cleared off.) For some reason, I forgot that it went through a spill and turned it on 3 hours later when I got home from class, perhaps a lack of sleep. It turned on fine but the airport didn't register and then I realized what I did so I turned it off. Took the battery out and left it overnight. It didn't work this afternoon when I put the battery in and hit the power button. Instead, it started beeping at me. I put both the battery and the computer itself in some rice (not a lot, just enough to suck moisture out) and tried again this evening. No dice.

So. Is it screwed? Is the battery fried? Is the computer itself fried? And we do plan on leaving the computer in another room from any and all liquids and children if it survives this.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since your warranty is pretty much of no use, I would take apart the computer and clean everything.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yup.

100% Isopropanol (2-propanol) and swabs.

4. emoflamingo thread starter macrumors newbie

How does one pop it open?

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Since you didn't say what model of laptop you actually have, hit up www.ifixit.com and find the disassembly guide for your model. There are plenty of guides to be found with google as well.

6. emoflamingo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The husband looked at it tonight and said it sounds like the hard drive is spinning, but another computer geek friend of his sounded less optimistic about it. I made an appointment with the Genius bar at the closest Apple store in case this a) doesn't work or b) I can't get to it.

7. harry454 macrumors 6502

I see best of luck, hopefully it works out well :D