Soda Incident

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FireSokar, Feb 28, 2011.

1. FireSokar macrumors regular

So there I was enjoying a nice cold beer last night. Son spilled a 7-up on the keyboard of my 13'MBP 2010 model. I promptly flipped it upside down in hopes that it didn't do much damage. 3 hours of drying and After taking it apart I determined the only damage is "sticky-ness" under the keys. I took off half the keys (side that was effected) cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, same with the slot they came from. Woke up this morning and it was still "sticky" So I went ahead and did it again. It still seems a little sticky. During all of this I damaged just one of the white clips that holds a key on (first attempt at removing them). Does anyone know where to get a replacement of just the white clip I can't imagine it costing more than a quarter. Also does anyone have any experience on price of apple swapping the keyboard? Thanks again.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Replacement keyboards seem be be cheap enough never had to fit one yet but I'm sure there is a guide on YouTube.

3. FireSokar thread starter macrumors regular

They are cheap, only problem is you have to empty the entire laptop and they really are deep down in there. I'm not exactly that ginger with taking apart a laptop. It never seems to go back together 100%.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If you're careful, you can order the white pieces (and also replacement keys) from a place like ebay.
    Then, just pop it in, and you'll be good to go! No disassembly required.

5. FireSokar thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I'm going to end up doing. Problem is I've taken it apart and scrubbed the keys twice with rubbing alcohol and they are still sticky.

6. ozred macrumors 6502

Sugary liquids do not dry in a matter of hours when inside the computer. If possible the best move would be to have a professional look at it. I know of many instances where computers were shorted out and destroyed once plugged in & turned on.

7. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Just a note: Silicon or ClearGuard keyboard covers work wonders for these kinds of incidents. Silicon covers especially sit well around the edges and keep liquid from getting in.

8. FireSokar thread starter macrumors regular

The internals are fine, the keyboard contained the entire spill. It was about 2 TBS worth of liquid and almost all came out instantly when it tipped it upside down it's just the light coating of it that's annoying me. It doesn't cause a key to stick just seems to slow it down on the rebound and light noise . Doesn't make the perfect snap like it used to.

9. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Silicone covers tend to leave semi-permanent marks on your screen. If you use one I would get a cloth to put between the screen and they keyboard when it's closed.

If you have a matte screen, expect permanent marks on the screen if you don't protect the screen from the silicone.

10. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

ShaggyMac or something of the like (something you can fit in a sleeve) work well to prevent that, but yes, they do. I've heard people say they leave a very very slight residue on the side where the edges cover the sides. I don't own a keyboard cover or a MBP, but I've read about it.

11. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Try rinsing them off with water first. Water will dissolve the sugar better than isopropyl alcohol.

12. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

13. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I agree with the water recommendation. If you were pouring something into an opening trying to dry it, okay, alcohol. But you are trying to rinse keys that are off the machine, right? If that's the case, some warm water is what I have used to wash keys on my older iBook (off the machine). Then "scrub" with a Que tip or the like.

Warm water will do well to dissolve sticky sugar residue. Maybe even a tiny bit of soap and then rinse again.

14. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I've been using the iSkin silicon keyboard cover on my MBP for a little while now, and it has left absolutely no mark what so ever.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

16. FireSokar thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure, used the alcohol pads that are individually wrapped. Ended up using them all and tossed them.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's your problem man. Those wipes don't have the horsepower you need. Find a radioshack (maybe) or a true electronics shop and get 99.9% Alcohol (electronics grade). That crap will come right off.