Soda on the lower corner of the screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Patrick J, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Hi, I spilt soda on the lower corner of my screen, which then dribbled down to the black plastic. The macbook pro 13" unibody imemediately turned off, I disconnected teh power cable.

I will wait to let it dry out. any prospects?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Remove the battery, and play the computer in a warm dry place for a couple of days MINIMUM, and then try turning it back on.

3. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Its a macbook pro unibody, removing the battery is a big job.

4. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

What scared me was the way it immediately shut down

5. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Might just be a tiny short circuit causing the computer to go "EEP! Shutdown now or I'm gonna fry!".

Put it in a warm, dry place for at least 2-3 days to be safe, and then try powering it on. Was this soda diet or non-diet? If it was non-diet, you might end up having some residual stickiness wherever the soda got to, which could cause problems. That's the downside to sugar-based sodas (the upside being better taste :p), sadly.

If it doesn't come back on after three or four days, I'd honestly suggest talking to Apple and just being honest about what happened - particularly if it was non-diet soda, that stickiness would be a dead giveaway. Also, as was reported several places last year, the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros (all the unibody ones, and possibly the new white ones) contain liquid submersion sensors. If those are tripped, you likely won't get it fixed under warranty anyway, as well as getting charged for the time it took them to figure that out.

6. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Hi guys, thanks for your answers and sorry for two frantic double posts.

I flipped the laptop, and went to sleep with a fan boring into it at max speed. At this point, the battery indicator button wouldn't show anything, and the laptop wouldn't turn on.

After about 4 hours, for some reason I woke up. After much silent deliberation with my sleeping dog, I decided to try the battery indicator - it worked;) I then tried to turn on the Macbook, and voila, it worked :D I was so happy that I watched a episode of The Mentalist, after which I turned off the laptop and left it the rest of the night drying.

So, lesson learned. Never again will I drink next to my laptop:p

Oh and it wasn't soda as in coke. It was soda water, as in just sweet water (like for shandies).

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

So many people think that it will never happen to them as they will be careful. So many people learn the hard way. You were just lucky... So far :rolleyes:

8. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Indeed, I was like "oh no i'm not that retarded to spill liquid on my new baby..:rolleyes:".. lucky lucky me;)