soda spilled on macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Quintini, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Quintini macrumors newbie

my son spilled a diet coke on my macbook. It mostly got on the keyboard and monitor. I removed the power chord, turned it off, and wiped off the soda immediately. But of course it's liquid so it is probably moved under the keys right? I turned it back on a few hours later and there doesn't seem to be any problems. Is it possible there was no damage?

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I'm not sure, however I'd recommend leaving it somewhere warm to dry for at least a couple of days. There may still be some condensation in.

3. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

I spilled Cup o' Noodles over my MacBook's keyboard a couple weeks after I got it. :eek:
    (Note to self: The next time you're rocking out to Ayumi Hamasaki, make sure you don't have Cup o' Noodles in hand.)

It made a sound like it was shorting-out, then died. I freaked out for a split-second, then turned it upside-down, it had leaked down to the battery. I proceeded to remove the wet battery and let it dry for a few days while I prayed reeeeaal hard.

Three days later, I put the dried-out battery back in, said a quick prayer, and...

I'm typing this post on the same MacBook nearly 3 years later. :D

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You're supposed to wait at least a few days.

If it were me I'd take the top case off. Clean off any residue. And wait AT LEAST a week before I even think about turning it back on.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It blows me away how we keep getting new threads about someone spilling something on their keyboard. You'd think someone would have learned from other's mistakes by now and buy a silicone cover to use on their keyboard. You don't even have to learn from the MR forum members, it's common sense. :p