Soda went in to my Mac air...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tommy-Li, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Tommy-Li macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2016
    Yesterday I somehow let some drops of coke went into my Macbook from the hole in the back. The screen backlight was flashing last night. I turned my laptop off immediately and took the bottom case off to let it dry out. The screen is actually fine now, but I am really worried about hidden problems. Will the leftover sugar harm the circuit???:(
  2. Orizence macrumors 6502

Nov 10, 2014
    Id open it back up and clean the entire area with 99% alcohol and a soft tooth brush to make sure you got off most of the residue
  3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    Perhaps it might've damaged the video card? I'm not sure why your screen would be flickering.
  4. theluggage macrumors 68040

Jul 29, 2011
    Not if the phosphoric acid gets there first :)
  5. iTurbo macrumors regular

Sep 9, 2008
    I had a spill on my 2013 11" MBA once. The machine still functioned, but was really slow and the fan was on constantly. I opened the Activity Monitor app and the kernel task CPU % were way way up for no apparent reason.

I had it repaired at a place in Sioux Falls SD and they had to send it in to have a lot of components replaced for about $350. That was a couple years ago and it's been working great ever since.
  6. Orizence macrumors 6502

Nov 10, 2014
    It sounds like this guy only had a somewhat small amount of soda hit something to do with the backlight possibly, I doubt anything would have to be replaced in this case, just a cleaning to be sure.