Soft spot in glass is creaking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Etrain, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Etrain, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I got a new original iPad Thursday from my local Verizon store. I love it, but yesterday I was putting on a Yoobao slim case and noticed that if I press on the glass near the top right side, inside the black border, it flexes and squeaks. This spot on the screen has a bit of backlight bleed (not terrible, but still there) if that has anything to do with it.

The glass apparently touches the screen underneath as the "rainbow" type effect happens -the same effect seen when you touch an LCD. The pressure required to replicate this isn't extreme either, just a medium firm press.

Should I be concerned? I'd hate for this to turn into an issue down the road.

Thanks for the advice.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Make an appointment with a Genius or call Apple Care.

If I were you I would try to document the issue now before it gets worse (preferably with video), so that if later on it does happen to break/crack, you can have evidence proving that it wasn't your fault.

3. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Yeah I think I will call Apple just to be safe.

Good idea suggesting I document it. Thanks!

4. spooky2k, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend not pushing the glass on any glass-fronted device. Don't call Apple, this is you being fussy. I appreciate it's annoying, but you don't need to push the glass on the border. If it happens from just resting your finger on it though, that's a different matter...

p.s: By 'pushing', I do not mean 'tapping'. The iPad is designed to be tapped, not pushed. Push any screen HARD and it'll make some strange sounds and look funny.

5. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

I did the same force press on my iPhone and the display model at BB - neither have this creaking. So, I am getting mine replaced as I fear this is a manufacturing defect. When I spend that much on a new technology product from a company the likes of Apple, I expect flawless.

6. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

so you're pushing it wrong? c'mon! If any part of my $400-$800 device squeaked that thing is going back where it came from. I bought an iPad not an old door.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you want my advice, it's obvious you received a defective unit. return it to Verizon for a new one. It's as simple as that.

8. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Really?? Wow man...

9. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Tried this today, they refused to accept it back as it was opened and used. But, I have a call with Apple at 5:30, so we'll see what happens.

10. spooky2k, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Nothing is perfect. That's life. Though I do agree that you should expect quality. How hard is the user pushing? That changes the evaluation of the problem quite a bit, hence why I said what I said at the end of my post.

If the user is pushing hard, of course it's going to give. If the user is resting their finger on it and it squeaks, there's clearly a problem.

An iPad has a different function to a door. If a door squeaks whilst under normal use, you oil it. An iPad isn't meant to squeak, I get that. However, the iPad is also not meant to be pushed hard.

See my above responses. OP really needs to give a bit more information. Are they pushing hard? Soft? if hard, it's not a problem since you're meant to tap the glass. If soft (as in normal use), there's a definite problem. This is similar to the person compaining of light bleed when they twist the iPad 2. I get there's light bleed but why in gods name would you twist it?!

OP, could you post some more info please?

Update: Just noticed the OP edited their post to include how hard they were pressing it. Medium firm. The iPad requires 'taps' to function. You have it flat on its back and push 'medium firm' in a weak spot (corner) then most, if not all, of our devices will do this.

OP, feel free to get it checked out at a genius bar just in case but from what you've written, I wouldn't worry. Just reduce the force with which your pushing the iPad screen. Unlike some other touch screens, it doesn't need to be 'pushed' at all, just tapped. I get the opposite problems when I use some touch screens - they don't work until I push them!

If I'm misunderstanding the issue (it could definitely be lost in translation due to subjectivity on force of presses, feel free to make a video and show it. If it is indeed an issue, you'll be helping lots of us here spot it.

p.s: Long post I know. If my reaction seems unwarranted to some people, I work where I demo these devices with people. 9 out of 10 people push the glass hard instead of tapping it and ask why it 'rainbowed'. They have to be told to gently tap. No judgement for doing that, since many touch screens function this way. People just need to be informed sometimes that they're pushing a bit too hard. (zing!)

11. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Got it replaced at Verizon!

Anyway I can upgrade from 3.2.2 to 4.3, not 4.3.1? Hmmmm..

As for the force used, I wasn't trying to hurt the iPad. I was simply putting the iPad into a slim case, so some force is needed, but nothing crazy. This one does not do it. I'm a happy camper :)

12. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Ace. Glad you got it sorted :)

13. MollyWally macrumors newbie

FWIW, my iPad 2 started doing the same thing the other day. Very little pressure is required to make the screen "give" and make a click sound. I first noticed it when I went to pick it up with one hand from the end with the camera. Other than this, the iPad appears to be functioning normally.

I took it to the Apple Store yesterday. They agreed the screen shouldn't have any give and tested their demo iPads just to make sure. They are replacing it, but didn't have my model in stock, so they will call me when the get their next shipment in.

I have the 64 GB AT&T 3G wifi model.

14. mstout macrumors member

etrain, I have the original iPad and it does not do what you are describing at all. I don't think you're being too picky either. Try going to another Apple store, and if they really won't help and you're not satisfied, if you used a credit card, call your card company and file a complaint so you can try to force Apple to take it back. I have never had anything but outstanding customer service from Apple. If the unit is defective, someone there will listen to you.