Soft touch/rubberised bumpers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Elevon, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Elevon macrumors regular

I am looking for a soft touch/rubberised bumper case for my iPhone 5. any recommendations?

2. KeithLilja macrumors member

3. nkaufman macrumors member

I thought that people are still trying to figure which bumper to get in thread - 1470948, with the marvellous info that bumper-guru provided. Did I miss something in this thread? And please, I am not trying to question you here, just trying to go over some threads so I can purchase a bumper for my IP5.

Similarly for thread 1466869, did not see a bumper that everyone agreed upon to be made specifically for IP5.

4. KeithLilja macrumors member

Yeah thats exactly the problem, none of the bumpers out there seem to be winners. They all have their issues.

5. nkaufman macrumors member

It seems that you are among the few that have done extensive research on this. Would be able to give a couple of inexpensive options (from amongst all that you've seen so far) for my situation as explained in this post?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1496239

Since I need the holster, I'd like to get a good leather case but would not want to spend too much on a bumper. But would not like to buy anything cheap either that will not protect the phone. So basically looking for value.

Thanks.

6. KeithLilja macrumors member

I'm not trying to be an ***hole but I'm not going to repost all the links that are already in those two threads. I personally have gotten this one off of ebay ((http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colorful-Bumper-Case-Plastic-TPU-Frame-Cover-Metal-Button-For-iPhone-5-5G-Film-/120987294414)) which is described in this video review ((http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnP7RzyFPkA)) and on the 2nd and 3rd page of ((http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1470948)) and also the the Elago S5 Bumper which is described and reviewed in this ((http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1493384))

For the first one (the ebay cheap). It honestly fits pretty decently and the buttons are great! My only issues are that there is a bit of play on sides and they are a little loose and the cutouts on the bottom are a very tiny bit misshaped, but what can you ask for for $3-$4. The other issue with that one as shown in the first forum link above is that you kinda don't know what you will get. You could get the HORRENDOUS version that "Radiating" got (2nd page) or you can get the pretty decent version that me and "Richard" got (3rd page). As for the Elago, the fit is good but still have play on the sides just like the eBay one but the buttons are decent. My main think with that one is that the cutout on the button is just one bit opening which I don't particularly prefer.

7. nkaufman macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

Was never my intention to get you to provide all links in the 2 threads that you mentioned above.

What I was wondering was based on your expertise and experience, which cases would you recommend and that you've done. So thanks again. Will look these cases and see..

8. KeithLilja macrumors member

ohhh ok! well sorry if I seemed like a douche haha. Anyways, in my experience and research along with pretty much everyone else (it seems) will agree that none of the bumpers are really that great. Each of them have their positives, but then they all have MAJOR flaws. You would think that a bigger named company would come along and fill in the gap and make a very nice and snug fitting bumper that would have good tactile buttons and have individual port cutouts! Is that really too much to ask? It seems to me that the bumper case is one of the most simple cases to make which (in theory) should reduce the amount of variables and (in theory) make a higher quality and more consistent product. I think Spigen has gotten the closest with the "Neo Hybrid EX" bumper but event that has its drawbacks: its pretty thick and bulky for a bumper (bumpers are supposed to be a minimalist solution to protection), it looks like a beast to put on and take off because of the polycarb bumper shell that goes over the soft inner TPU band, and supposedly people say that it gets pretty loose after a while. Maybe us bumper lovers should pool together our money, make a quality bumper product that suits our needs/wants, and make a kickstarter for it! hahah

9. nkaufman, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

nkaufman macrumors member

Well, you did help me so thank you again.

Placed order with ebay from your link as well as a Noot from Amazon. Will wait for a few weeks and check these forums and see if a nicer bumper comes along.

I agree with you 100%. Its a shame that with IPhone being as popular as it is, even existing case manufacturers are not willing to create a case from the ground up and are just modifying existing IP4 cases.

10. KeithLilja macrumors member

I think the ebay one is probably the best one i've seen so far. Even if the plastic is a bit crappy and the sleep/wake button isn't the greatest. Did you get the Noot Bumper? I have the Noot Bumper Case (the actual case with the frosted back) and I really, really like it. Everything about it is awesome. It fits snug without creating any squishes or deforming the case, all the buttons are stiffer but are still pretty tactile, its very slim while still providing a bit of lay on the table, bottom has individual cutouts for the ports, no sag on the bottom, and works with screen shields. So if their bumper is anything like their case is, its should be a winner for sure!

11. nkaufman macrumors member

I hope you are right. Am a bit concerned as to what kind of case am I going to receive :)

The Noot that I ordered is:
    http://www.amazon.com/noot®-iPhone-Bumper-Case-Packaging/dp/B009GLFT78

This also was in one of the posts in the threads that I looked at.

12. KeithLilja macrumors member

We'll 2 of the 3 of those ebay bumpers were the "good" ones so odds are on your side! It took almost 3 weeks for mine to come though.

Oh yeah I saw that one too. Those black and clear ones, no matter who the maker/carier seem to have pretty good reviews on them. Keep me/us updated when you get 'em in!

13. nkaufman macrumors member

Definitely will post some pictures on this forum once I get those 2 cases.

Do you by any chance have any suggestions for a belt case/holster. Like I mentioned in the other post that I'd created - am old fashioned and wife is ok with it :).