SoftBank doesn't have HotSpot option so...TetherMe or MyWi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by patent10021, May 3, 2011.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

SoftBank here in Japan doesn't have the HotSpot option that is available on AT&T so I'm wondering if it would be better to use TetherMe or MyWi to use my iPhone4 3G connect for my iPad2.

Any advice? I'm thinking TetherMe.

Thanks

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I personally chose TetherMe. It's native, hugely cheaper, but it lacks many of the advanced features of MyWi. For simple iPad connectivity, MyWi is way more than I personally need.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'm using TetherMe but haven't used it much beyond testing it. Worried that SoftBank is able to tell I'm tethering.

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

I'm not worrying about that. It's MyWi that is detectable on AT&T and even then it's only the users who are using massive data (from what I've read).

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Most likely any unauthorized tethering is detectable regardless of the program used on the iPhone. I've been using both TetherMe and MyWi for a long time (low data volumes) and have yet to get a nasty text from ATT.

7. mphayvanh macrumors member

Not true. Bought MyWi but never had to use it until last week to demo FaceTime from an iPad 2 wifi model to my iPhone 4. Using MyWi and 3G Unrestrictor for FaceTime was great! But that triggered the famous email from ATT. Oh well.

8. eleven7 macrumors regular

I've been tethering on Softbank for the past 2 years with mywi and have not had any problems/email warnings from them about it. Not sure how much I use monthly but I do use it everyday at work to surf the net because I got sick of my company's ancient internet filter that blocks anything and everything.

I also have friends that use it as their primary internet connection and softbank hasn't expressed any concern yet and they clock up a bit of data each month.

Just my personal opinion but you should be fine. Softbank have been pushing their new hotspot (pocket wifi) service in the shops lately though so they might start cracking down on it in the future...

9. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Have used Sofbank+MyWi for about year and a half, no problems. Very nice for e-mailing and light web browsing on the train, in parks, etc. Guessing you should be OK if your use is low-intensity. If busted, don't imagine the old gaijin ploy of "oh, THAT'S the rule?" would hold much water, since all of the (dense) user agreements are also in English...:eek:

10. 199708 macrumors 6502

11. eleven7 macrumors regular

That it's still not going to be available in Japan?

12. Steve99 macrumors member

I believe you can also use a modified carrier plist and patched commcenter to enable the native iphone 4 tethering.

13. patent10021, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

It's advertised as being convenient for business trips and public places 「出張先へ、空港へ、公園へ。これからはWi-Fiをどこにでも連れて行けます」but not for use in Japan. 「日本を含む一部の国々では、ご利用いただけません」It's obviously in the OS though which is why people are using MyWi, TetherMe on SoftBank. Sweetness. I'll give it a try.

Thinking of buying an unlocked iPad on Apple Canada and using it in Japan with a SoftBank iPhone 4 mini SIM. Would this work?

14. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Just for the heck of it, went into Osaka's Yodobashi a couple days ago and asked a young woman about "personal hotspot." She tried to direct me to the "pocket wi-fi" hardware solution and I said "no, no, no" and tried to explain it in the most precise J'ese I could muster. A guy nearby, obviously hip to such things, laughed at my efforts and explained it to her, then her eyes popped open and she asked "that's possible?!" The guy said wistfully, "In Japan, it's NG."

15. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

guess not; not sure if you would get a SIM only; even if: our "preferred" provider will not let you use hotspot ... even more risky that they charge you to hell with a "gaijin" phone ... they know that the phone is not bought in Japan ... there are stories about that the monthly cap for Yen is open; means some 100'000 Yen is easy to get.

Actually a mobile WiFi router is what I'm consider as it will allow me to use my MBA and my iPad with one contract. (I don't like JB; so MyWi is not an option for me); I wait for end of this year when the LTE version are hopefully coming; until then I keep my overprices Prepaid service.

16. 199708, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

199708 macrumors 6502

Just got back from holidays and my iphone 4 ended up sliding off the boat in big waves into the ocean, luckily i dived in and just grabbed it with the tips of my fingers. I've taken it apart and sanded down some corrosion/brushed off things that were trying to grow in it. Booted it up again just enough to get my 300 island/surfing photos off it.
    the battery is shot along with the home button, speaker/mic and camera. I've ordered these parts from ebay hopefully should be here soon.

I also have an unlocked ipad2 running on bMobile (docomo), after reading this thread, i put my softbank ip4 sim into my ipad2, and it says this device is not registered to run this simcard, (error 0006#). I suppose that means the sim is locked to iphone 4, or just iphone/ipad devices purchased in Japan.

if you do want to use your unlocked phone/ipad in japan, i suggest bMobile prepaid, can be purchased in 6 or 12month blocks.

17. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Yeah I remember that service when it debuted. Unfortunately it's a lot slower than SoftBank. Can't remember where it's located but you can ask or find the data rates they give you. bMobile is quite slow compared with the natural data rates you get when you have an iP4/iPad2 on the SoftBank network. Guess it's better than nothing but I don't want to have two Softbank bills every month let alone a SoftBank and bMobile bill. JB is definitely the way for me. Also allows me to use my iPhone in Canada. For me there are many benefits of JBing. Haven't done it yet. I'll do it sometime before I head home for my vacation.