Softbank iPhone 3GS - Activate and Unlock from Australia Possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bleach1st, Aug 25, 2010.

1. bleach1st macrumors newbie

Hi everyone :)
    I think I've just made a huge mistake:mad:

I've purchased a Softbank Japanese iPhone 3GS 16GB off eBay and I thought it was unlocked by when I just re-read the message from the seller I received it said not unlocked... I read what I wanted to read though and read unlocked.

So... I was just wondering, is there any possibility that I'll be able to get my iPhone working in Australia under Vodafone? Ever? I'm willing to do anything atm...

2. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It depends on whether it comes with 4.0.2 or not. If it does (and its never been jailbroken) then you're out of of luck. If it comes with any firmware pre 4.0.2 then it's a simple matter of visiting jailbreakme.com and installing ultrasn0w from Cydia.

3. bleach1st thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry (I'm a iPhone n00b...) good point! It comes with 4.0 Firmware.

My main problem is it isn't activated and when I try to activate it in iTunes it says I have the wrong SIM inserted. Is there any way around that..? I don't have a Softbank SIM.

Thanks for your fast reply, it really means alot to me atm:D

edit: Forecast's Reading...
    [​IMG]

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Hmmm iPhone 3GS jailbreaks aren't my strong point. Do you know if its been previously jailbroken or did you buy it new? I'm leaning towards you can't do much now but as I said, I'm not sure at all. Best to wait for someone with more experience in this situation.

Edit: As a start can you find out which bootrom version you have, using this guide, as it would be helpful

5. bleach1st thread starter macrumors newbie

It's 2nd hand and I'm pretty sure they've never jailbroken it before...
    Thanks for your help! Hopefully someone else who knows more about my model might reply:D

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its on 4.0 and not activated it all you can do is buy a used even inactive softbank sim and activate it officially.
    Then JB and unlock with ultrasnow.

7. bleach1st thread starter macrumors newbie

So... If I was to get a Black Softbank SIM card I would be able to activate my iPhone..? By officially you mean through iTunes I'm guessing.

I'm just a bit worried about the fact that Forecast says No to Unlockable... I'm guessing that's because I haven't activated it yet? Or would it be saying that for another reason?
    and the fact that it says nothing to Jailbreakable is odd... but seeing as it's 4.0 I should be able to :D

@moussekateer: Thanks for the link... it seems I have the old bootrom version! :D

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes it will activate thru iTunes and then u can jb and unlock.
    Forecast hasn't been updated to include 4.0 jb and unlock tools. That's why it's giving u that outdated info.

9. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Then this guide might be helpful to you.

10. bleach1st thread starter macrumors newbie

I just rechecked again... I'm now no longer sure if I have the old bootrom version. I looked at the Serial Number of my iPhone and it was made in Week 24 which apparently means it should have the old bootrom but then I used iDetector and it said I have the new bootrom so I'm not sure anymore.:confused:

Through using that guide linked am I able to hacktivate my iPhone? It's my biggest obstacle currently.

@Applejuiced: Thanks for the explanation on Forecast. After I read your post and then the searched the net it makes sense :D

I'm currently looking into either getting a Universal Activation SIM Card or buying a black Softbank SIM Card... although the softbank sim will be around $80USD :eek: