SOFTBANK Simlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Piotr20PL, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Piotr20PL macrumors newbie

Hello, i bought an iPhone 4, with iOS 7.0.4 from Japan, which is locked to SOFTBANK simcard. I've got the card, so i managed to activate the phone, but i cannot use other network.

Are there any chances for me to see a way to unlock the phone? I've seen some companies able to do that, but it costs a lot, about 200$ just to unlock the phone. I also wrote an e-mail to SOFTBANK asking if they can unlock the phone since the contract is finished already. Still waiting for the response though.

So, are there any hackers still working on Unlocking iPhones with the number four, or they already quited the job and i have no reason to wait and try to jailbreak it?

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If it is an 8GB version you may be in luck.
    16GB and 32GB can't be unlocked- unless things have changed since I last tried, about a year ago.

3. Piotr20PL thread starter macrumors newbie

But where did you try? At official SOFTBANK store?

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I will ask my sister-in-law, she works for Softbank. I got a feeling the answer is going to be it's not possible though or she just may not know. It's hard to even get a phone plan or a sim if you're just visiting Japan. My wife brought her AT&T iPhone to Japan and was only able to get a sim without buying a softbank phone because her sister had an extra one she could activate.

Softbank's network (all of Japan's mobile networks) are locked down pretty tight.

5. Piotr20PL thread starter macrumors newbie

That's so stupid, you buy a cellphone worth 500$ and then after the contract is done you can't use it anymore in any other network for good.

I would really appreciate if you could ask her.

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Already sent the email, but it's 6am there. Will let you know what she says. I think she's just a sales rep or something, she's only been there for less than 2 years. Maybe she'll know something, it's probably not something that gets asked often.

7. Piotr20PL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot m8. I'm waiting for the response ;)

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

No reply yet, but I sent the message to my wife as well. Just in case she doesn't understand. Her English isn't that good.

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Sorry, but she doesn't know how to help you. It's the first time she has ever gotten this question.

Kind of what I figured, but was hoping for a better answer.

10. Piotr20PL thread starter macrumors newbie

Ehhh, alright, thanks a lot for help :) It seems all i have is an iPod Touch... at least for now... Maybe in a few weeks there will be something to crack the iOS7 unlock :p

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

SOFTBANK Simlock

Way off topic, but I HATED SoftBank. They had horrible service in Japan. AU by KDDI is the way to go! Anyway, yea I don't think you can unlock Japanese phones, if I can remember they only run on CDMA networks. I remember when I had my phone, they didn't come with sims installed. Or at least SoftBank and AU do. I know there's at least one that doesn't but they're VERY expensive.

12. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I went to a local iPhone repair shop here in town- totally trustworthy outfit.
    They were not sure it could be done- but would attempt to do so. If successful the unlock would cost $180.
    (Check around the web and that's the going rate for Softbank.)

Sure enough, it was impossible. That was then and this is now. I traded that iPhone into GameStop a few weeks ago.

13. Piotr20PL thread starter macrumors newbie

So i guess i need to sell it to. I hope i won't sell it for 50$ just because it's locked.