SoftBank users - does your email show up a while AFTER the green iPhone alert?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Aug 21, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

SoftBank users - does your email show up AFTER the green SoftBank alert?

I get an email alert from SoftBank. You know, the green you've got mail alert button.

Thing is I always have to wait for the email to actually show up in the inbox.

The alert and receiving of the email in the inbox is not the same. I have to wait quite a while actually.

I want my email to show up the same time I get the alert like all other normal mobile phones.

2. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I haven't had this problem. The email is in my inbox the moment I receive the push notification. Is this happening to you on every message you receive, or just certain ones? Perhaps the lag is on the sender's end, not Softbank's.

By the way, I always chuckle when I see the English phrasing of the push notification:

"You got a mail."

I wonder if Apple approved that sentence. :D

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

yeah I noticed that LOL

Well since I restored from an iPod Touch that had mail settings it's possible something went weird although everything works. I'll get the green alert but as soon as I click it to go to my inbox the mail isn't there. I have to either wait for a bit or reload the inbox. I can understand how this is normal for non SoftBank email accounts since they require fetch, but the native @i.softbank.jp email account should be instant.

Btw, when you got your iP4 did you have to add the Softbank account? I had to since I restored from an iPod Touch. The Softbank acct ended up being an IMAP account. Do you think that's the problem? I have a list of email accounts I created in the settings pane i.e. Hotmail, Gmail and SoftBank.

Shouldn't the SoftBank account be some sort of native network account that isn't an IMAP account? Also the logo is just the simple blue @ sign in the accounts list. Is that right?

***And..when you click the green alert button should the email display right away or do you still have to push the mail icon? I have to still click the mail icon and go into my mailbox...counterintuitive if you ask me.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Clark Kent macrumors member

It's normal behavior for Softbank. Technically the xxx@i.softbank.jp email is not Push.

When you receive an email at this address, the awkwardly phrased alert that pops up on the screen (You got a mail) is pushed to your phone immediately. But the mail itself needs to be fetched. When you push the mail button, the message will download to your phone.

In my experience (all 1 week of it), I've found that sometimes the mail is already downloaded when I push mail, and other times I have to wait for it to download. On wifi it takes about 1-2 seconds, on 3G it takes anywhere between 1 and 10 seconds to download.

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Hey Superman. Thanks for saving the day. Yes I figured the same BS. It's pushed hence the alert...can't get an alert without a push...but it's fetched from the server still. That's total BS. When you're in a rush those delays are NOT fun. At least with the ol' school phones every thing is immediate. Anywhoo...

What about my settings? They look normal? SoftBank is IMAP?

Oh and another thing. It's quite awesome really. I discovered while in a Starbucks that us iPhone4 owners get free FON and MOBILEPOINT WiFi.

I had to go to the FON site via iPhone and install the FON network profiles. I haven't done the MOBILEPOINT profile yet because I haven't been in a MOBILE point area yet. Odd thing is my wife already has the MOBILEPOINT profile installed but I don't. Again, I think that got deleted when I restored from my iPod Touch.

Here are some screens for FON. I think you'll find them useful since all Starbucks in Japan have FON now. Installed all from Starbucks via MY SOFTBANK and FON WiFi pages. Btw, I don't get any red dots on my Mail icon. The dot should be there when the green alert comes on or does the red dot show up when the mail has fetched? Man...sure have been waiting a while. So now instead of waiting I just go in and click the reload icon so the mail fetches quicker. *** and I'm on WiFi!!! *** Also my @i.softbank.jp account says fetch in the data receiving method details pane. It only has the 2 choices of fetch and manual. The first pane says push is ON though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Yes, like you, I had to add my email settings using the generic @ option.

I've been using the Mobilepoint WiFi service for a couple of years now. I haven't tried the Fon service yet. My experience with Mobilepoint hasn't been all that great, though — the signals at the places I've tried it are often weaker than Softbank's 3G signal (which in many cases is also fairly weak).

Hopefully the Fon signals will be stronger.

7. Clark Kent macrumors member

Your settings look a little different than mine, but if you're getting your mail then they must be correct. Specifically in the middle screen, アカウント情報 (Account Information). In the first box, 名前 (Name) I have my first name listed whereas you have your email address. Then in ユーザ名 (User Name) I have my email listed whereas it looks like you probably have your name.

Any reason you don't set your phone into English? I would recommend it at least to post screenshots on here so anyone can help you out easily...

I tried a mobilepoint connection at McDonalds. All I had to do was log in with my xxx@i.softbank.jp username and the password I set for it when I created it. My iPhone connected instantly.

I got a free FON router with my iphone, but I haven't set it up yet. I have a Yahoo BB Modem and then an Airport Express for my current wireless. I'm assuming I just connect it to an extra ethernet port on the Yahoo BB modem and have it as a second wireless device, but I'm not sure if that will work. Obviously I can't connect it to the Airport Express because it's only got a USB port.

8. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

I like details so I was sorta hoping that carriers had their own mailbox logo :) i.e. a SoftBank logo instead of a generic @ sign. After all, there are Yahoo, AOL, mobileme and Gmail logos. They should've added logos for major carriers.

I just waited 10 minutes to get a red dot from the time I got the iPhone green email alert. Ridiculous. As I mentioned above the main Push pane says push is ON but when you go to the next data pane the accounts only have manual and fetch options. What's the point in having push when the network doesn't do it?

9. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

I believe the way I have it is the most correct for IMAP. You need to do that for Gmail IMAP too. Also notice how my email address is actually grey and not blue like the other text. I'm actually unable to edit my email address. I would have to recreate the account first. I'll fiddle around with it though and see if it's more responsive. Sometimes the technically correct way isn't the best way.

Well everything I do is in Japanese. Computers, devices...life LOL so...

Yeah everyone who buys an iP4 gets one. The guy/prick asked me if I had a WiFi router at home so naturally I said yes I have an Apple Airport Express. So then he tried to tell me that I don't need the complimentary FON WiFi router customers get since I have my own. I then made up my own story and said it's my friend's and I'll be giving it back to him next week so give me my Fn' complimentary FON router Biatch LOL. Not much he could say.

10. Clark Kent macrumors member

If you change the third box (Description) on the same screen I mentioned before to "Softbank" it will say that as the name of your mail account when you push the mail button instead of xxx@i.softbank.jp. It looks much cleaner and matches your other accounts (Hotmail, Gmail) in style. But no custom logo...

One time I had to wait forever while it kept saying downloading on my wifi. The mail wouldn't download and after a few minutes I turned off the phone. When it restarted, the mail was waiting in the inbox.

You mentioned that it's counterintuitive that you have to push the mail button after "Dismiss" on the pushed alert, but I disagree. I like to know that I got a mail, but sometimes I'm doing something and don't want to be taken instantly to it. I guess it would be nice if there was a setting so everyone could choose what they prefer, but it seems that the alert is a Softbank creation and not something from Apple (otherwise there wouldn't be the strange phrasing) so it's must not be something built into the OS.

11. Clark Kent macrumors member

Check out the Softbank instructions for setting up your mail: http://broadband.mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone_en/pdf/i_guide_mms-email_i.pdf

They actually say you can set your name/description to whatever you want, it doesn't need to be your email address.

You need to be specific with the email address, password, host name, outgoing mail server, and user name (which I believe is supposed to be xxx@i.softbank.jp since I followed these instructions and that's what ended up there) to get your mail.

12. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

yeah like you said, it's simply the description button; can change it to anything your heart desires.

Btw, bought the app Groups today. Talk about contact/group mail management. Nice Apple like design too. Everything I always wanted in iOS Mail/AddressBook. I thought it was worth mentioning and I usually don't plug other people's stuff.

I'm getting the red dot [push/fetch] the same time as my green alert now. I guess the network was slower or something.

Here are some details. Actually has nothing to do with it being a particular carrier.