Softraid 5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mustgroove, Aug 31, 2014.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Just saw that Softraid 5 has been released... anyone have any experiences of using this at all? Can only seem to find posts about particular pieces of hardware which have this bundled (e.g. OWC Thunderbay), but I'm interested in the software overall...

2. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Bit of a bump here... anyone have any experience they can share? Kinda sucks that there's so little info on this - I'm considering buying a Thunderbay RAID box soon and it's hard to research it when there's almost zero info on the software itself other than the marketing...

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have SoftRAID5 and really like it. I initially purchased it separately to use on a ThunderBay IV with a iMac, but ran into some problems with external Windows and had to switch to "plan B". OWC tech support indicated that the ThunderBay IV was not BootCamp Windows compatible. Of course, the SoftRAID5 wasn't being used by Windows at all, only OS X where it was working great.

So ... I moved it all into my Mac Pro 5,1. I use 4 ea. 3TB HGST hard drives configured as 3 volumes in RAID-5 using my copy of SoftRAID5. It has been working great so far. It is quite fast and I like that it monitors the health of each of the drives and the overall disk array and reports back to me via eMail as well as keeping a log of status and health. There are also some utilities to certify, zero, and initialize the disks before creating the array.

You can also create other flavors of RAID, but I was only interested in the RAID5 configuration.