Software: Another newbee question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by webella, Jan 12, 2009.

1. webella macrumors newbie

Most of my work is on Word and some excel spreadsheets. I plan on keeping my windows files on my laptop as a physical backup and to use to business trips.

Here's my question as I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around what I can transfer to the iMac and if they will be compatible:

I work on something on my pc laptop, let's say an windows doc...can I move it to the mac and edit and save there, too? (I usw Windows XP pro). And can I create a document on the imac and then transfer it to my laptop?

Do I need to put XP on the imac or can I just create docs in the apple os and then move them to my pc laptop?

Or is there a better way I can keep my old pc files and start creating apple docs? Will Apple docs be readable on my pc laptop?

Thanks, again.

-w-

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're saving files as Windows-compatible file types, such as .doc and .xls you'll have no problems.

3. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I do this without putting a copy of xp on the mac?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have Office 2008 for Mac, you can run Word and Excel on the Mac... no need to run Windows on the Mac. Microsoft makes Mac versions of Office.

5. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh...

and if I use the Apple Office 2008 for my docs, can I then move and open on my pc laptop for travel?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... the same as sharing files between 2 Windows PCs.

7. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys rock.

I've never had such quick and helpful responses on a forum and I appreciate all your help. Granted I feel like an idiot asking these dumb questions. ;)

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

You think that was dumb, you should have seen my questions and I still ask dumb questions.