software compat probs on intel core 2 duo imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by suegannett, Sep 4, 2014.

1. suegannett macrumors newbie

I have an imac G4 running OSX 10.4.11 and am using Quark Passport 7.3, Illustrator CS2 v 12.0.1 and Photoshop CS2 v 9.02 - all work well. In the past I have copied this software over to other similar imacs and all worked well but now I am having this problem...

I just purchased an imac Intel Core 2 Duo running same OSX 10.4.11 and none of my 3 main programs will open. Quark copies to it but when I click to open the appl it blinks but does nothing

Illustrator locks up with spinning wheel, and Photoshop says user id and/or serial no is invalid and must exit now.

Ugh, Ugh, can anyone help me to find the versions of these 3 programs that are compatible with the Intel imac?

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

You need then universal binaries of the programs or the intel version.
    G4 and intel softwares are not cross platform.

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I have Adobe CS2 (purchased back in OS X Panther on a PPC G5 iMac) which I have transferred to my 2011 iMac Snow Leopard 10.6 partition. It works using Rosetta, Rosetta was a separate download on my parents' Core Duo iMac running OS X 10.4 Tiger but is bundled with Snow Leopard install disks. And CS2 does work on these Intel iMacs up to SL. So I'd try installing Rosetta first.

Sue, you didn't say if you used Migration Assistant to transfer your apps or just dragged & dropped. When I used MA, it also transferred all the plists, libraries, registration, etc. and I didn't have to re-enter serial numbers or anything.

Thirdly, as of last year or the year before, Adobe deregistered (is that the term?) CS2, and it was available free for download to "registered" Win & Mac users. So you can always get a fresh install that way.

Hmmm, there's nowhere to download Rosetta from Apple's support site. According to Wikipedia it was initially included with Tiger 10.4.4. Are you updated to 10.4.4?

4. suegannett thread starter macrumors newbie

question about Rosetta and MA for Crkkket Girl

where do I get Rosetta installer? My imac duel core 2 is running OSX 10.4.11. I have orig 10.4.7 install DVDs; would it be there?

I am not familiar with Migration Assist; where do I find it?

appreciate all your kindness and help with this issue

5. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Hi Sue,

Migration Assistant is inside your Applications/Utilities folder.

What version of Tiger do you have installed? (Click on the Apple & "About this Mac" in the top left menu bar.)

If a PPC application is loaded correctly, and since Rosetta was included with Tiger 10.4.4, it runs in the background. If you don't have it or are running an earlier version of Tiger, you'll get a pop-up to install Rosetta. (I think.)

Apple used to have Rosetta available for download but removed it. It is available on Snow Leopard install disks.

It's been a few years since I had to deal with this issue myself, I don't remember all the details, I'll have to check a few things.

Also, if you just dragged & dropped some complex apps like CS2 which installs folders all over the place, you may be missing some of them on your newer iMac.

6. CrickettGrrrl, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Here is the Adobe CS 2 link for registered users.

Here is a link to an archived page about Migration Assistant for Tiger, from Apple's Support pages, which explains how it works and what it transfers to a new Mac.

I read that the 10.4.8 Tiger update had improvements with regard to Rosetta. So make sure your OS is updated. If I were you, I'd trash the CS2 app that was dragged over from the other Mac, and then use Migration Assistant & a firewire cable to transfer your programs.