Software Controlled Bezel?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by arcanic, Jul 11, 2012.

1. arcanic macrumors regular

arcanic

I love the current design of the iPad, but can't help but think it would be even more beautiful it was all screen, zero bezel.

Its it practical or possible to have a bezel that could be controlled via iOS6 software?

Arc:)

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

what exactly do you mean control the bezel with software?

they bezel is on the ipad so your fingers can hold the device without covering the screen.
    the bezel is about the size of a thumb.

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

My understanding is that it mostly depends on the number of touch points the screen supports. Having a lot of touch points would allow it to resolve actual shapes, which could then be used to distinguish between the tip of a finger and the block of a palm.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, this is something I posted about a few times over the past years.

Have the whole front of the the device a screen, let's say a 1mm or 2mm bezel just to keep the glass in place.

So when you are using it hands free (watching a movie or using say a dock) the whole device would be all screen.

However, let's say, when you went to pick it up, depending on the mode you have set, a black strip appears all around the screen which looks like a bezel, but it's just being displayed by the screen.

Naturally this could then be user controllable for size and colour.

I can't really see why, even now, this could not be made, perhaps in a few years?

5. arcanic thread starter macrumors regular

arcanic

Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to say...sorry for the confusion. I'm really surprised someone hasn't already done this.:)

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Don't worry, we are both just ahead of out time

I wanted someone to make a phone that was all screen years before anyone make the dam thing.
    Well actually no-one has quite make the dam thing yet, we still have black surrounds but we're getting there.

It's like when you see amazing concept cars and you shout MAKE THIS NOW, but they always tone it right now into "just another boring car" buy the time it hits the marketplace as they don't want to upset consumers too much.

Mainly as it's all run by business people these days and not like it used to be with the creative people setting the levels.

But back to the bezel.

Yes, of course it's do-able now, the only real issue is screen pixels and the on-screen objects being resolution independent like vector graphics that could scale up and down as needed by a software bezel.

You could work around that now if you really wanted.

It would seem the ultimate design, front all screen, thin sides and a flat back, and let the software do the rest.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This could be the mythical 7" iPad. Buy the 10" iPad hold it in your hands and it becomes a 7" iPad. 2 iPads in one.:D wonder how develops will like having to make an infinite number of Apps to satisfy all bezel/screen size possibilities?:eek: