Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TracyKay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Hello ~

I am trying to update my MacBook Pro software which I haven't done in a few years. I currently have OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. I tried to install a software update to get the current operating system which I believe is Catalina 10.15.6. I went to my "About this Mac" and clicked the software update option and updated "all" and restarted my computer after the downloads finished. It is still showing El Capitan.

Also, I had iTunes on earlier today and went to sync my iPhone but my phone was not showing up in iTunes. After I did the software update listed above (which showed iTunes and Safari) and restarted my computer I tried to open iTunes I got an error message that says the application can not be opened.

So - basically I have 3 problems which I can't figure it out. 1) Software won't update 2) I need to back up my iPhone 3) What happened to iTunes

Help me please and thank you, they are the magic words.

Tracy

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
You have to go to the App Store and install Catalina from there, it’s not an update

TracyKay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
I just went to the app store and got a message that says "We could not complete your purchase. This version of macOS 10.15.6 cannot be installed on this computer". ????

TracyKay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
What year is your MBP?

I looked up the serial number on Apple's site and it says 15-inch, Late 2008. Dang! I can't believe I have had it that long. Still going strong. I love Macs.

Last edited by a moderator:

TracyKay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
OP:

You need to tell us WHICH MBP you have, WHAT YEAR it was made.

I suggest you try Mojave instead of Catalina.
BE AWARE that Catalina will "break" older software you may have, that is "32-bit".
That stuff just won't run any more.

Try this link for Mojave:

Hi - I looked up the serial number W88511TY1G0 and it is a late 2008 model. I can't believe I've had it that long. Go Mac!!! I'll check out Mojave. TY

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
If you have El Cap installed now, just "run with it".

If you want to keep using the 2008 MBP a little longer, and if you still have a platter-based hard drive inside, you might look into replacing it with a cheap SSD. 250 or 500gb, I wouldn't spend any more than that. When the time comes for a replacement Mac, you can take the SSD OUT of the old MBP, put it into an external enclosure, and re-purpose it.

I'm not sure about the drive replacement procedure on a 2008.
Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved.
If you do the job, BE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT TOOLS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.