Software Download

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tmp0404, Feb 21, 2008.

1. tmp0404 macrumors member

Greetings all,

I'd really appreciate some suggestions. I have a Macbook, running 10.5.2, and it seems that since I updated to the aforementioned release, I'm having all kinds of problems with software downloads.

More specifically, I've been trying for over a week to download Parallels 5584, I've tried via the Parallels software update process and by going directly to their download link. When I try to execute the file, I always get invalid checksum.

Tonight, I just tried to download the latest release of Itunes, same type of problem, a week back I tried to do software update for the graphics update, it took many many tries, it finally downloaded, not via software update but via a link at Apples website.

So, any suggestions would be most appreciated. I should mention that I've done a repair disk permissions and that didn't help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You should try "Repair Disk" not disk permissions. Repair Disk will repair any errors on your HDD and will let you know what needed repairs. If it can't repair the disk it will let you know and the next suggestion would be to do an Archive and Install which will get rid of your old system folder while retaining all of your files and settings.

To do Repair Disk you have to insert your Leopard install disk and go to the install screen, in the menu bar choose "Utilities" then choose "Disk Utility" then highlight the HDD on the sidebar and then choose "Repair Disk" on the bottom left of the window.
    You cannot do this in Disk Utility in the Finder's utilities folder.

3. tmp0404 thread starter macrumors member

Software Downloads

Thanks for your suggestion Hladen, I did the disk repair, and I was subsequently able to download the Itunes update. However, I then tried to download 5584 of Parallels, and still get the invalid checksum.

Not sure what else I can try.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Are you having trouble downloading or installing the Parallels update? If it's a download issue you may want to try download the update from versiontracker.
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29555

5. tmp0404 thread starter macrumors member

Software Downloads

So since I have a snow day, I decided to reload Leopard. Had no problems installing the OS again. I then went to software updates, and a couple of the software updates downloaded and installed, but the 10.5.2 combo update which is a big one, and the most recent Quicktime got the checksum error.

This is driving me crazy, I did a disk permissions and disk repair, and I'm still getting checksum errors, I got the same even trying to download Firefox. I've also tried both a wired and wireless connection, and I'm still getting the checksum errors. I've also tried some downloads on some of my other PC's (Windows and Linux) and had no problems.

Any other suggestions, since I have a service contract on the Macbook, is it time to send it back, again, I'd appreciate any comments as I'm wasting way to much time just trying to download software.

Thanks.

6. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Maybe somehow you are dropping packets? (Between your MB and your Router?)

7. tmp0404 thread starter macrumors member

Software Download

When the comment in this thread was mentioned about the router, it got me to thinking that perhaps something is wrong with the router (netgear wpn824). So I had another router sitting around, disconnected the wpn824 and hooked up the other one (also a netgear), and behold, I'm able to download software updates, etc. with no issues.

I did some searching, and on netgear forums read some posts about people having trouble with downloads, the recommendation is to do a hard reset of the router. I plan to do that tonight, and hook it up again to see if I can download the newest Itunes for my Macbook, previously, I was getting the infamous checksum error.

I should also mention that initially I was having the download problems on the Macbook, but yesterday I tried a simple Norton anti virus update on one of my Windows PC's, and even that would not work. It's just strange that I had no problems accessing the internet either by wired or wireless connections, but getting a download to work on my Macbook, Mac Mini and Windows PC's was becoming more and more problematic.

Since my Macbook has extended warranty, I also called Apple, and after about 45 minutes of good dialog with them, they sent me the 'box' to return the Macbook. Looks like I'll have to get in touch with them, and let them know I won't be sending the Macbook in, and I'll keep the box.

Just thought you would like to know, again, I've had various routers over the years, and this is the first I experienced problems with just downloads.

8. tmp0404 thread starter macrumors member

Software Downloads

All,

Comments below regarding the problem and a possible solution, at least the one that worked for me regarding downloading software. By this I mean trying to download the most recent release of Parallels, trying to do the Apple software update, or downloading the update files directly from Apple.

My comments below as posted in the Parallels forum:

So I brought my Macbook to work, and I was able to download 5584 without a problem. Took the Macbook back home, tried to download the file again, and still had the corrupt file issue.

So, after doing a bunch of searches and reading issues on the Netgear forums, I found out some interesting things.

I am currently using a Netgear WPN824v2 router, and when trying to download 5584, I kept getting corrupt files. Since it was relatively new, I returned it, got another one, and had the same problem. I also had an older Netgear WGR614, so I hooked it up, and bingo, no more download problems. I should also mention that I was having like issues when doing Apple software updates, I was getting corrupt files using the WPN824. I was getting the corrupt file using both a wired and wireless connection. What was most frustrating was that it had worked fine with no problems for the past month or so.

But finally, I found out something that worked, thanks to a very active Netgear community member.

On the WPN824, I disabled SPI in the router settings, and problem fixed. I downloaded 5584 from home with no problems, and I was also able to download several Macbook updates, again with no problems.

I just don't understand that after a few months of using the router with the SPI setting enabled, everything worked fine on Mac's and Window's PC's, and then all of a sudden the problem.