software/file/desktop sharing with parental controls.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitton, Oct 14, 2008.

1. whitton macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I have the a new Mac OS, that I've been using at work for about 6-9 months now.

It is the only computer for our business.

There are two of us working there, and accessing the computer. I recently tried to set my boss up on a separate account with parental controls activated, to limit her computer usage to 2 hours a day. (she'll get on there for 4 or 5 hours a night instead of working, and we've both agreed that she's costing us business and money with her inability to self-discipline).

My Problem--Using parental controls seems to require that I set up two different accounts, the Admin account, (mine), and her account. If I do it this way, she is taken to a new desktop which is missing all the software and images, files, ect...that we are using for work.

Is there a way to share a desktop among two users, while limiting internet usage with a password??

I can't have her locked out of the ability to put in new software, or update programs..I just need her internet time limited.

Any ideas???

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I would say set up a router, and use it to limit internet time for both of you.

routers can use schedules to allow internet access, or even just block website URLs. If you know what sites she shouldn't be accessing on the business computer, you can block them.

The internet timer though, seems to be the best bet for that.