Software for 10.3.9?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by el-John-o, Dec 14, 2016.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hey folks!

1GHz iMac G4

I can't seem to get TenFourFox working; is that because it's only (as the name implies) compatible with 10.4+? Any sources for software for that older version of OSX? I'm not interested in going any higher than 10.4 (don't want to lose OS9 classic mode). But I'd actually like to stay on 10.3.9, if possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-John

2. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

There's little sense on staying on 10.3.9 on that iMac. TenFourFox indeed is only for 10.4 and 10.5. Most (semi-)modern software needs at least 10.4 or 10.5. I'd strongly suggest installing 10.4 so you can use TFF and other software.

3. tevion5, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Definitely agree with upgrading to Tiger. There's little point drudging around with iCab and Camino when you could be using TFF. I run Tiger very well on my iMac G4 800 MHz, and even okay on my Power Mac 8600/250. Your 1GHz iMac G4 should scream by comparison!

4. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Back to eBay it is for a copy of 10.4 then, thanks!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In fact, I am pretty sure you will find that getting Tiger 10.4 will be the best upgrade you can do on that Mac aside from RAM. It opens a door to a whole new world of software titles that will simply not run on Panther 10.3.

6. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

Running 10.4 now, a friend had a copy, so saved me a few bucks on eBay anyway.

Planning to run it up to 2GB of RAM and an SSD. But it's pretty snappy now, honestly. Had some fun playing some old games. Don't honestly know what I'm going to do with this G4. I've always wanted one, now I finally have one!

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Remember that you must always reapply thermal paste to the contact points when doing a RAM upgrade or the machine will overheat.

8. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, I'll put some Arctic Silver 5 on there when everything comes in.

9. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

RAM upgrades require rethermal pasting? I'm confused:confused:

Sorry for not understanding

10. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

There's two RAM slots in an iMac G4. One is a notebook type RAM slot underneath an access panel, and the other is a full sized desktop RAM slot that's accessed by essentially removing the logic board from the base of the machine; which separates the CPU from the heatsink which is built into the base. As I understand it, the iMac G4 came only with the internal RAM stick inserted, leaving the other one open for expandability. Lots of notebooks did this as well in that time period (perhaps Apple notebooks as well?). I have a Circa 1990's Compaq notebook that has a single RAM slot underneath accessible through an access panel. The other RAM stick is buried deep inside the machine and not easily user replaceable (nor intended to be replaced by the user).

Since I said I was upgrading to 2GB (achievable only through 2x1GB modules), I'm sure he inferred that I was going to replace the internal RAM stick as well. Plus the hard drive and the PRAM battery while I'm in there.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Coffee filters dipped in 90%+ isopropyll alcohol work great to remove and clean areas where the thermal paste will be applied. Shout out to @eyoungren for sharing this with me, as it has made things a lot easier.

iMac G4s require disassembly to access the internal RAM slot as stated by @el-John-o. Due to the design, iMacs essentially have a large heatsink internally which is separated when you remove the lower panel. As a result, you must freshly apply thermal paste each time the iMac is opened or it will overheat in short order, especially if the thermal paste is old.

It is kind of interesting how back in the 90s and early 2000s, removable RAM was hidden deep inside the machine. Now, 20 years later it is all soldered in and people still cannot believe that it was a long time coming.